Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Drummers - Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

djarrett

first off, derek- don't worry about felix's opinion. to be honest, i don't like latin much either, but you guys did a good job with what it is- a latin song that sounds like 90 other latin songs... no offense, its just traditional latin. felix isn't saying you're bad, he's saying he didn't like the song much. so don't worry about it. not everyone will dig your music. and you asked for thoughts and he gave them. but good luck in the rest of your music... ANYWAY...

My name is Jules and I am 17. I've been playing drums for almost two years, but guitar is my main instrument, which i've been playing for 5. I play bass a bit, and I can find my way around on a piano. I'm really into odd time signatures and sort of rock/emo/experimental instrumentals, though my music isn't that experimental yet. My favorite bands are Ilium, Dianogah, Tortoise, Euphone, C-Clamp, and just about any other band in that Chicago music scene. And for the record, I hate DMB and Carter's drumming. I know he's very good, so don't jump all over me, I just don't care for it. I play a 4 piece Rogers/Pearl kit: 9x13 Rogers Rack Tom, 16x16 Rogers Floor Tom, 14x22 Rogers Bass, 5x14 Pearl Copper Free Floating Snare. I have all Gibraltar hardware, and all Zildjian cymbals (though I very much like Paiste... need to get me a couple)- normally I set up with 14" New Beats, 16" K Dark Crash Medium Thin, 17" A Medium Thin Crash, 20" A Custom Ping Ride. I do have an 18" K Custom Flat Ride and a 12" A Custom Splash that I switch in every once in a while. I write and record music with one other player and do lots of overdubs. You can listen to us at www.mp3.com/djpancake . No DJ in the band, actually.

Anyway, Thanks for Reading!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey everyone,

my name is jamie(i am a boy not a girl) i am 14. and i have been playing set for 2 years and been playing drums (school) for 4 years. so all together thats 6 years. i got into drumming ever since i was real little playing on my mickey mouse drum set. so i got my first real set 2 years ago. and i have been adding on since. i am pretty much self taught, i took a couple of lessons, one just help me learn the basis of the drum set, and another just taught me the correct way to do stuff. so i pretty much taught myself from there. i teach my self by listing to drummers and playing along to albums. well that was my little story of my "drum carrer".

-jscoin

Yeah, it's VERY traditional Latin, basically just a lead in for the middle part, which is the main part of the song. I do care about his opinion, because when someone sees something wrong or boring in the song, I'd like to know what, just so I can take that in effect in the future, because it might be too long, or too short or something like that, and little suggestions like that can go a long way in helping out in the future. But thanks for the comments, guys!

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, I am a young drummer, 21. I started playing when I was 5 or 6 years old. I played in the school bands all the way through high school. I had a couple of bad, short-lived bands growing up. The town i grew up in had a gigantic population of 3,000 people. Needless to say, the town doesn't exactly churn out musicians. After graduation i went to study music at a nearby university, Sam Houston State University. I had no formal training on mallets, so that place kicke my ass. I learned a lot there, but didn't like the direction it was taking me. So, I packed up my newfound knowledge and moved to LA and attended Musicians Institute. I learned a lot there and met some great people. I was only there for one year, but had a great experience. Next, I moved here(Austin, TX) and have been here for about one year now. There is a lot of live music here and I am SLOWLY tapping my way into it. I'm in a jazz-funk band(www.geocities.com/pakalolojams) now and am hoping to start ripping up the scene real soon. I also am starting to teach lessons and pass on my knowledge.

• 7 months later...

Scott Johnson (a.k.a. Prof. Sound): Now 45 (oops, 47) residing in Indianapolis, IN USA, played since 13. Raised in the Chicago, IL USA area, owned/operated first studio at 17. Focus was on Rock, Progressive Rock and Country music. Had brief personal involvement with Jazz great Louis Bellson. Moved to Nashville TN at about 20 years of age. Designed and managed the manufacturing of recording studio electronics for Harrison systems, premier company for music, film and production studios electronics. Designed and built wiring systems for touring sound companies as well as speakers and monitors. Worked with and in a variety of recording studios along with a number of top country writers that have multiple platinum and gold hits to their credit. Engineered and did live/studio drumming until 29 at which time left music started a company which is today recognized as one of the most technologically advanced recycler's of electronics and plastic in the world. In '98 start playing again (no live work) and is currently recording and continually building a new project/drum studio specifically for drum tracks and own enjoyment with a focus on Light Jazz and Country.

Author, Drum Tuning Bible and currently just float around trying to answer a few questions as factually as possible (although time has been very limited in the last few months).

Nice site djarrett - most of the crap stays out! Same goes to you Bart.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Joined this site yesterday after finding a link to it from the Fender forum.

Great site.

I'm a drummer ( 30+ yrs ) who became a closet guitarist ( it was tough to express anyting musical on the drums at 3:00AM...).

Big interest in recording as well.

I dig the vintage stuff, especially American made drums/guitars. Recently started selling a few high end drums out of a friend's store(Fibes/Dunnett). Any Atlantic Canadian drummers out there please spread the word...these makers kick butt.

Looking forward to spending time here learning and sharing info when I can. I'll appologise in advance for the occaisional bout of Foot-In-Mouth disease...

Ian

Store Site

" I ain't no phisikist, but I know what matters..."

Hey guys, I stumbled across this forum a few days ago and I can't stop checking back every few hours. I'm a 30 year old drummer in the New York City latin scene, I've been playing drums for about 15 years and I have loved every minute of it. And yes that includes crummy buses on horrible tours.

The last few years I've gotten into recording, it's a whole different ball game but something I enjoy very much, I also play percussions, (timbales, congas, etc.) and love that too.

I look foward to keep hearing great things from all of you.

Jose :wave:

Hey guys and gals, I'm a 38 year young presently playing pretty much full time in Key West, FL. mostly at Sloppy Joe's 4 times a week, I also teach Scuba diving on the other days. I played some years ago with the band Blackeyed Susan with Dean Davidson(lead singer Britny Fox). Finally made the move with my wife to a warmer climate and get away from the crazy music biz up in Philly, now I love playing again because I don't take it so seriously, just have lots of fun! I find myself coming back to this board alot for great info, good job on the forum :thu: . If ever on vacation in Key West come look me up. Presently playing with the Zack Seemiller Band, I'll take you diving.

DJ wrote:

I am a classic rock freakazoid as well. Nothing like a great Yes, Doobie Brothers, Styx, Queen, Dan Fogelberg, ELO, Earth Wind & Fire, Elton, Billy Joel, ... someone help me, .... please, stop me!

It's all good! Definitely, and Boston, damn, the radio automatically gets turned up when 'More than a Feeling' or 'Long Time' comes on.

When I was about 7 years old, I had an album called 'Solid Gold' which had tunes like 'Two Tickets to Paradise' by Eddie Money, 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue Oyster Cult, and 'Hold the Line' by Toto, I thought it was the coolest thing.

And I still like those tunes, ;) .

MethodAir

ElectricMountain

WELCOME! DrumLooney, Oremug, and Methodair!

It is so great to have new folks coming to Drum Talk! Yes, we did go through a slow period, but it is picking up again.

Lots of great topics in the archives as well. Go up to the are that tells you how many days back to show, ... and set it to show all, and you will find some really super subjects that are able to be revived at any time due to the classic nature of the issues.

And Methodair, ... ROCK ON!

DJ (last of the big hairs!)

Hello everybody my name is Tim Waterson, aka The Drumcanman. I am from Edmonton,Alberta,Canada EH! Drums and drumming is my passion always has been, always will be.

I have been drumming for over 28 years and untill I had a car accident in Nov 2000 I was drumming on anything I could get my hands on almost non stop ask my friends LOL.

Prior to my accident I was a full time drummer playing with as many bands as I could trying to make a living just like many of you.

I started drumming on pots and pans and received my 1st 3 pc drumset on my 12th Christmas and now I play real drums (WOOPIE) and also my Drumcanman set which is comprised mostly of recyclable and found objects.

I have been spending more time focussing on Drumcanman workshops in schools where I show kids how to make music on just about anything you can find around the house.

I would like to be responsible for inspiring some of the next generation of Rhythmatists. Parents will love me and hate me LOL.

I also will be performing at Fringe type street performer festivals in the summer.

I am playing in a Funky metal band (Aromatones)soundclips will be on my site by Mid-May. I am in the preproduction stages for a Bass Drumming book and Video that should be available in summer.

I am also working with a Guitarist from Atlanta on a Eternal Life Speed Metal Band called Gothic Outcasts which will feature the fastest double bass drumming ever recorded (for all you Speed Fans!) Tim Waterson aka The Drumcanman

www.geocities.com/drumcanman

www.drumcanman.com

timwaterson@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm Chris.I am one of the closet drummers.I have played guitar for 21+years and bass for 10.fell into drumming by accident when the drummer from my band quit without finishing the payments on his kit.I bought the kit because i couldn't bear to see it go.(I wound up having to sell it for xtra money when i bought my house).Soon after I bought a cheap 5 piece pacific and a decent double pedal.Done a fair amount of gigging but done it at the front of the stage.After mylast band fell apart i decided to go it alone.I am currently working on some material where i play all of the instruments.My major influences are scott travis, any slayer drummer, and anyone that can play better than me( which is a pretty long list at this point.)I am primarily a metal guy but have a pretty wide range of music that i listen to. I work in tech support for a company that supplies DIY speaker parts and electronics so I have a little bit of an addiction to anything relating to audio,home theatre,recording,live sound etc.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Hey Guys! :wave:

My name is Donnie Christian and I play with the Memphis Symphony Orchestra. My backgroud is mainly orchestral but I am also into marching, hand drumming, marimba, and everything else percussion!

Donnie

Heh, not exactly a newcomer as I've been posting nonsense for a few months over here, but anyways..

I'm Kenneth, and I live in a place called Ringebu, which is in eastern Norway (for those who follow sports, I live right next to Kvitfjell - which was the super-g/downhill arena during the 94 olympics).

Have been playing the kit for 18-19 years, and also have formal classical training in percussion ("rhythmic" and melodic) as well as vocals. Also a self taught guitarist and bass player.

Although I first and foremost consider myself a rock musician, I've done all sorts of stuff, including classical work, lead parts in musicals, the odd sit-in in local jazz bands - and at the other end of the spectrum, played a fair chunk of speed and death metal... :D Since then, I've quit the metal thing, and lately have been concentrating on jazz-influenced rock.

That, and I'm an uncurable progrock fanatic.

Among favourites are the mighty Tull, early Genesis and Rush.

Currently, I play drums in a few bands, such as Gag and Elegie, and am the lead guitarist and vocalist in a "cover band". Also have an online solo project called Watchers On The Storm, which is basically rock/hard rock with some progressive leanings.

Other than that, I really can't think of much more :P

WOW!

I love this!

Welcome Donnie in Memphis (three hours from me in Nashville,) and welcome to k1neta all the way from Norway!! (I have no clue as to how far away that is!)

I love that we can come together with no mile limitations and enjoy each others company.

This technology just never stops amazing me.

DJ

Archived