Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best electronic kit

Sergievsky

I realize most people prefer acoustic, more nuance, yada. I'm not a drummer but would like to expand my studio to be able to accomodate a live drummer sessionist since I absolutely suck at drum programming and I can't stand playing with a temporary rough drum sequence/loop while I arrange. Since I haven't built my house w/ soundproof studio I would like to purchase an electronic kit so I can hire lots of underutilized but talented drummers in my city.

I have noticed some new kits by Yamaha, Roland, etc that has pads sorta like the real thing. How are these and which has the least latency, which was a complaint from some drummer friends of mine of the earlier kits. I've got enough sound sources so the sounds aren't THAT much of an issue, but still interested on what you think of the included modules. And since I know very little about these kits, I assume they trigger through midi, which means the midi delay thing is introduced...is this a noticeable problem? Thanks in advance.

Raul

Raul

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am actually e-mailing this question to some electronic drum manufacturers to see what kind of feedback we get from them.

I know that these guys are capable of providing good info without totally pimping their products on us!

Thanks,

DJ

Right now the best e-kit, IMHO, would be a Roland V-Session Kit with

the td-10 expanded module, and two JBL G2 Eons or Mackie sm450's with the either a CerwinVega or Mackie Subwoofer to round out the live rig....

the new Roland e-cymbals pretty damn cool...real feel of an acoustic cymbal, positional sensing and multiple triggers...

I dont currently have this kit, I have an Alesis DM pro, Hart Dynamics acoustic drum conversion triggers, e-cymbals and hats....It is about a third of the cost of the Roland Kit and gets the job done....

I have never experienced any latency whatsoever unless I had something routed wrong....

Thanks DJ! I look forward to their responses as well as from players like captain since ultimately it's the sessionists' comfort in playing the kit I purchase that's important in order to get the best recording out of them. This same kit will also be seeing some major live gigs as well so reliability/durability is definitely an issue.

Raul

Raul

I'm the Roland electronic drum clinician for the US. As a studio drummer, I've owned and used EVERY electronic drumset made over the past 20 years. I do clinics on the V-drums because I don't have to change my playing technique when switching from my acoustic drums to to my electronics. The new V-Session set offers great sensitivity, feel , and dynamic response. With the MIDI capabilities you can record audio AND MIDI data ... Perfect for production studios ... and engineers that have to deal with poor sounding acoustic sets.

V-drum are a staple in my sound palatte ...

You can trigger the brain with drum triggers or retrigger from tape or HD too!!!

Mike Snyder

Developer Drumloops.com

Roland US Drum/Percussion Clinician

http://mikesnyder.net

http://drumloops.com

http://www.rolandus.com

• 1 month later...

I concur.Ive played Roland V drums,Im an acoustic man myself and I liked them.They definately won't replace acoustic percussion but definately have their place.I've noticed several pro drummers incorporating them into their acoustic kits on stage for effect.Good idea...

ian*

ian*

I disagree with all of you folks profoundly...the absolute best sounding/best feeling electric setup is with radio shack triggers on space muffins with an Alesis D5 drum module utilizing the flourescent plastic neon colored cymbals. I have been doing clinics on this setup for years and I have to refuse at least one major endorsement a week to keep my mojo proprietary.

Archived