Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

method book suggestions

THOR_dup2

Hi drummers,

I'm a guitar player. In an attempt to better communicate with my drummer I've decided to get myself aquainted with a drum set.

I'm looking for a few good method books.

A friend suggested "A Funky Primer" and "Stick Control"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel Rothman's Mini Monster Book of Rock 'n Roll - Short but sweet. Goes from simple simon to highly effective in 48 pages. More than you will ever need plus the cover is cool.

Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer, Jim Chapin- A jass classic.

Anything from Rick Latham/Gary Chaffee for funk-might be a little tough for a guitar player. You could apply some rock beats from the mini monster book in a funk setting and get buy just fine.

Originally posted by THOR:

Hi drummers,

I'm a guitar player. In an attempt to better communicate with my drummer I've decided to get myself aquainted with a drum set.

I'm looking for a few good method books.

A friend suggested "A Funky Primer" and "Stick Control"

Hey, Thor:

When you say "get myself aquainted with a drum set," do you mean you want to learn to play, or do you just want to become more familiar with the language drummers use? Be able to talk to the drummer in a more percussively educated manner.

This will determine my advise to you!

djarrett,

I grew up in a musical family and my brother is a drummer so I'm familiar with the terminology. I'd like to be able to sit down behind the kit and demonstrate musical ideas to my drummer. I end up spending too much time playing air drums at band practice. Besides the guitar playing I'm also responsible for arranging the material and general musical direction. Also, learning how to play drums can only make me abetter musician.

Archived