Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If Money Was Not an Object

jar546

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone for whom money was no object was Scott Chinery. He had one of the greatest collections of guitars the world has ever seen.

Read a little about Scott here.

He decided that he wanted a blue guitar. So he called twenty one top luthiers and hired them to build the best blue guitar they could. We're talking about guitars that cost a minimum of $10,000.

The results are in this book.

http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/81/181/912/0811819124.jpg

This book has been one of my inspirations.

For me ampage, studio space and live PA and lighting gear would be a part of the equation for certain.

As far as basses go, with unlimited funding I would definitely delve into the world of custom built instruments especially from the following luthiers:

Bee Basses

FBB Custom

Jerzy Drozd

Bud LeCompte

I have spoken to the builders of Bee and FBB and they are willing to build a lefthanded 12ver, those are my kinda guys! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

Bump, 4 nine string necks on one bass with different tunings. I think I would first need a labotomy :D

Wally

I'd have to out-do John Turner you see. His ridiculous double 8 string neck bass is, well, quite ridiculous. I figure 4 9-string necks is just that much more ridiculous.

I've decided that one of the necks would have to point straight up. And another possibly backwards like Steve Vai's heart-shaped guitar or that speed metal wanker guy's V-shaped double neck guitar.

It would make an excellent conversation piece. It would be hysterical to have sitting on a stand at every gig. It would not be even remotely practical to use. I'd have to get one of the 2-string Bee basses to set on a stand next to it.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Couldn't you have 12 necks mounted in a clock-like arrangement? You would just rotate the bass to the neck you wanted to play.

I like it! If only Ron Popeil were a luthier...

"Not two, not five, not event ten--but twelve, yes twelve necks! But wait--that's not all!..."

I don't have delusions of playing huge stadiums, so as far as ampage goes, I'd just like another Phil Jones cabinet; probably the 9B. Although... the 16B wouldn't hurt either, I guess.

Basses? I mainly need a 5-string fretless now. My "dream" bass is a walnut body (possibly chambered), lacewood top; 5-piece maple & purpleheart neck; purpleheart fingerboard; either a Hipshot A bridge or monorail bridge of some sort (maybe Kaehler), and now I'm toying with the possibility of piezos. Magnetic pickups? I was set on Aero's, a soapbar P-style towards the neck and a double-J at the bridge; but now I'm reconsidering Nordstrands. Delanos look pretty cool, too...

Maybe I'd get a Matt Pulcinella Level 5 semi-fretless, too.

And a Rickenbacher. And a Thunderbird (maybe the new Thunderbird Studio 5) Gotta have a double neck, too.

A set of Roland PK5... no, PK7... would be nice, too.

Then there's home studio gear.

And to top it all off, time to actually use it (my current nemesis).

I'll probably just get a new set of strings.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I would have a Modulus Flea Bass, a few American Deluxe Jazz'es.

Defintly A Electro Harmonix Q-Tron, Maybe Envelope Filter of some sort.

Amps, I Would have Probably a stero Ashdown rig, 3 1x15" underneath 3 4x10" and one 8x10" layed across the top, all this doubled.

Powerd By 7 Ashdown Lab's AL-AD1000 Head,

All that or a Trace Rig, Trace's new range is all really small though, and dosent look all beasty on stage!

I'd fly to the US and have a listen to those ACME 2x10s that seem to be the flavour, or book a night in the Grand Hotel, Brighton buy Alex lunch and go and hear his rig. (unless anyone knows anywhere else I can hear them in the UK?)

My Trace rig is great, maybe I'd swap the 15" with the 2x10s. (or maybe a pair) I like the amp in the combo so maybe rip it out and use it to drive the B2s, or get the AH12 head.

I love my Bass too, I spent two or three years looking for an instrument that fits my hands. Although its only a humble Ibanez SR400 I think its great.

h you could always make the Trace rig look bigger using painted cardboard boxes, you wouldn't be the first1! :D

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I am sure this is a question that has a wide variety of answers.

Give me your opinions on which manufactures are building the "Highest Quality, High Tech" Amps, Preamps, Power Amps.

Names that come to my mind are: Eden, Acoustic Image, Epifini, Euphonic Audio.

Not necessarily in that order.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Originally posted by dcr:

http://wonkyblog.diaryland.com/images/bassomatic.jpg

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!

DCR, you just made my week! :D

Mine as well. Might be the greatest sketch ever.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Should the thread title be, "If Money Were Not an Object" (property or not, dcr)? That is, subjunctive tense... ("Un bel congiuntivo!" as my Italian 1 professor used to say.)

I would have the same basses I have now. I might want to add an MTD 535-24 chambered fretless w/ mahogany body and ebony board.

I would want regular lessons from an excellent teacher (oh wait, you said "money" and not "time"...).

I'm not sure what rig. I was moved recently by an EA iAmp 800 into an EA Neo 4x10 cab. I was also moved by a Kern IP-777 into a Peavey DPC 1400X into a Bergie HT-322. I'd probably need two rigs -- one ol' skool and way tubey and one nu skool.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

I'd like to have a ridiculous 2000+ W stereo power amp (ruler flat) and a nice Avalon or Demeter pre. Some nice flat 2x10s, too. (Acme?) I'd need 4 cabs so I could run two on each stereo channel.

I'm mostly gassing for basses, though. The Conklin 7 MIDI that David mentioned sounds like fun. It would also need a good MIDI sound module to go with it. Not sure if I'd go with a stand-alone unit or softsynths on a laptop. With a laptop, I'd need all the Garraton softsynths. Because sometimes you want a bassoon sound, but you don't necessarily want to learn to play one, lug one around ... or even buy one. [i would still need a hurdy-gurdy, though, 'cause I haven't seen a sample library for one yet. Anyone know where I can pick one up, say in the SF area? ;) ]

Even with MIDI, I think I'd still need more instruments. A Ric 4008, for example. There's just something about paired strings. With something like that, I'd need to start looking at Amy's setup. I'm thinking a nice Marshall JCM 100 W with a full stack (two 4x12s) to handle the highs. I think that's what JPJ used.

I'd definitely need a double-neck. Maybe a triple-neck -- like JPJ's acoustic -- but not more than three. (I'll let Bump have the glory of having the only quad-neck.) Although fretted/fretless sounds nice, I think I'd go for a bass/guitar combo. Either a Gibson or a Ric. (Probably a Ric since I tend towards a cleaner tone, and the 360 is pretty sweet. Of course, I'd still need a separate 360/12 12ver, too.) Another possibility is to have a standard 4 on one neck and a piccolo on the other. If I went for a triple, it'd be similar to JPJ's, except it would be mandolin, guitar and bass. I'll take one made by Andy Manson.

Gotta have a Stick. 'Nuff said.

And a super-duper looper.

Maybe some bass pedals (keyboard you play with your feet). Didn't Geddy have some? MIDI would be cool to take advantage of the MIDI equip (see above).

An URB. Can't really play one, but still gotta have one.

Like tnb (and a few others around here), I gotta have a tuba, too. Actually, one concert tuba -- Yamaha probably makes a nice 4 roto-valve BBb -- and one old beat up sausaphone. You never know when you might get the call for a Big Easy street band! ;)

And finally, a pro drummer(s). It's just too hard to make good music without one. Maybe a lifetime subscription to a drummer service. You know, call them up whenever you're putting together a new group and they supply you with just the right drummer (same day service)! :D

I'd probably fill my closet with Rickenbackers. One strung with flats, one with rounds, a fiver, an 8-string...At least one would be vintage (toaster + horseshoe). After that, probably something nice from Music Man. I'm not a "boutique" guy.

With all those Rics, the amp would have to handle stereo. I'd get a 2-channel power amp, plenty of wattage, a 2-channel EQ, a couple of Avalons, & a couple of neo cabs. Plus a nice ride to put it all in.

And yeah, practice space, recording gear...might need a barn. It would also need Ms PacMan, Tron, Battlezone, Frogger, DigDug, & a really cool pinball machine. :D

Ah ha! I'd get Pino's "all the right notes, no more, no less" switch installed on my bass. Yup. That's it!

Oh, maybe I'd also add his "my tone is the bestest tone of all time no matter what the tune" switch. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then I'd be set!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Archived