Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Theres Something On My Neck!

h364

Hi guys, i was playing my p-bass special the other day, when i noticed this black thing on the surface, now it looks as if its been shaded with a pencil alomost, now it doenst wash of or anything.

Its at the bottom of the neck and at the top were the neck forms into the headstock,

I have no idea what it is and how to remove it.

I do have some pics, but they are really arnt that good, and i dont know how to put them up on here.

The bass has been infront of a radiatior, that has been only warm for around 4 weeks, while i sort my room out, they will eventually be hung on the wall.

Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I would try to do is to determinethe if the stain is on top of the finish or under the finish. The clear polyurthane on the neck is very thick and very tough. Get a fine sanding pad from a hardware or home repair store. Usually they are in the paint department and are red or orange in color and are a sponge-like pad. Usually about 4" x 5" and very thin.Be sure to get the "fine" grade. Polish the area with the pad, if it is on top it should come off quickly. If it does not come off then it is under the finish. If it is under the finish and if you bought the bass new, take it to your dealer for exchange.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Very fine sandpaper (800 to 1200 grit) would be ok, I like the little foam sanding pads. They contour to the surface and you can reuse them over and over.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I have edited your post to make the pic link click-able. All I had to do was push the "URL" button at the bottom of the "Post New Topic" form.

I can't see the problem at the heel, but I can at the headstock side. To me, that looks like a water stain. It has migrated through the finish. I suspect, in the area it's located, that it's sweat.

Don't sandpaper it. Don't even worry about it. If you are a "sweat-er" (lots of people are) you'll find these stains on lots of your property. Try to keep the neck dry.

The radiator thing, on the other hand, now that's dangerous. Uneven heating on the neck, even very mild, can cause warping and glue separation. That's never good. Plus, the uncased bass can always get knocked down and damaged.

Put the thing up after you play, and store it where the temperature is room temperature through the entire length of the instrument (leaning against a cold window could be equally bad!)

Dave

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I looked at your photos, I think the stain by the headstock is from an instrument stand. Foam cover padding???? I can't see the other stain by the body.

Benjamin Franklin

I would suggest sanding. But I would use something called micro mesh. It is 10,000-20,000 grit sandpaper. It will not leave your finish rough at all if you use it becasue it is so fine. If its a water stain from sweat then COOOOOL. That means you are actually busting your bum when you play.

Gooday

Jonathan

Chicken greese? I thought I was the only player that used chicken greese. Man it really makes you hand slide nice. If you get it too thick, just lick it off.

:D

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by ATM in this thread. :

It's the secret of luthiers everywhere! How do they get those basses so clean? There's just one answer, Funk 'N' Gunk. Yes, Funk 'N' Gunk, straight from ATM Labs. Just a couple of shots in the cauldron, and a short boil later, viola, I mean Bass! Yes Funk 'N' Gunk does the job other cleansers can't. Got gunk? Get Funk!

Got that not-so-fresh feeling? Only Funk 'N' Gunk gets rid of all that unnecessary BBQ sauce that found its way into your strings and frets. Only Funk 'N' Gunk will leave you feeling Funkier!

Pots sounding potty? Only Funk 'N' Gunk can remove the years of dead hair and skin build-up that make your groove grievous!

Now in orange.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/atmofmn/Bass/funkngunk.jpg

Remember, Funk 'N' Gunk. Cause with a name like that, it's got to be good! :thu:

ATM

Do you boil the entire bass or just the strings??

If you did the whole thing at once, it would clean the tuners, pots, bridge and pups all together. Where is "Funk and Gunk" available?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Archived