Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing Board Woes

I'm having a bit of trouble with my mixer. It's a Behringer (and I know already that that's a woe in itself, but this is something completely different...) and two of the channels now have weird fader activity. What happens is that the fader is either at infiniteattentuation (off) or unity gain (full-on). No in between. As soon as you turn it up just a little, the channel is fully on. I've tried cleaning the faders from the outside, using contact cleaner, etc. but I'm starting to think that I may have to take the whole board apart. But I'm not willing to do that if the whole channel needs to be replaced. I'm saving for a new board, anyway, and if this problem can't be fixed easily, I'll probably just ignore it and keep saving. I only use it for routing signal from other gear, and do all my mixing in DP, so it isn't such a headache, just an annoyance, but even so, I'm curious if any gearheads out there have ever encountered this before and might know what the problem is.
Andrew Mazzocchi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same problem with a Behringer. If I excercise the fader a little bit it goes away. I'll probably open the thing up and clean and relube the faders with Cailube fader lubricant from Caig at some point. The moral of the story is that I should've bought a Mackie instead of the cheap knockoff (ripoff). Trouble is the Behringer was on sale and it was half the price of the equivalent Mackie. Shoulda known better. You get what you pay for! It is possible that I might have had the same problem with the Mackie too since it comes from leaving the faders in one position for too long. Moving the faders alloows them to clean themselves.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Ultravibe, Behringer is known for disposable equipment. If it breaks you throw it away because Behringer don't have any real service. If you're lucky you may be able to clean the faders yourself, or a service shop may be willing to take it on. Don't be too surprised, however, if your only alternative is to stop using those faders. Eventually they may all go bad and you'll have a paerweight. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I'm not willing to go the service shop route. I'm not really willing to spend any money on this... grtmac: have you ever taken the board apart for cleaning? I had it in to have that done about two years ago, but have never done it myself. Is it a pain in the ass? I now hate Behringer gear, have ever since I really started to use this board, but I'm stuck with it for a while.
Andrew Mazzocchi

Almost sounds like you've got the PFL on all the time. But that doesn't explain the inbetween and off settings. Faders do go bad, especially if you don't use a dust cover.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I had a dust cover up until about five months ago - WHEN MY ROOMMATE'S CAT PEED ON IT!!! It was on the floor at the time since I was in the middle of a session... Had it been on the board at the time, I would have been arrested for animal cruelty!
Andrew Mazzocchi

Archived