Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Product Spotlight - Does Anyone Look At It?!

Stuart Clayton

Hi guys,

I recently advertised my new book 'Ultimate Slap Bass' in the Product Spotlight section of Bass Player - in fact, it's in the current issue. My question is, does anyone pay much attention to this section? I ask since it doesn't appear to have much of an effect. While sales from the UK and Europe continue to be very good, sales to US customers are less impressive. Just trying to guage the reaction before i decide whether to advertise there again.

Incidentally, there are a load of new testimonials for the book on www.basslinepublishing.com if anyone is interested in reading them.

Cheers

Stu

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Bass Player subscription ran out a while back but if and when I do pick up an issue, I do look through the ads and Product Spotlight.

Does it make me buy the stuff? No. Does it effect my purchasing decisions? It's debatable. Does it make me aware of products I would've otherwise been unaware of? Occationally.

I'd have to say that the third is it's most benefitial quality.

BTW, I'm still workin' away at that book but I came to the point where things stop being easy to pick up quickly so I have to practise the excersizes more and progress is much slower. I'm still enjoying it though! :thu:

Hi

I found that on the last past issues the products are always the same. Warwick blue cab. new warwick blonde, hofner, that material to cover studio walls and sansamp di.

I don't really pay much attention to it as the description is really small. So if I'm looking after something I might search elsewhere.

By the way, I didn't noticed that you have advertised on this issue. Apologies.

Have a look to the past 5/6 issues and check it out.

Good luck with your sales.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Originally posted by DavidMPires:

By the way, I didn't noticed that you have advertised on this issue. Apologies.

I would suggest that probably answers Stuart's question.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I look throught them occationally, but I agree with DMP - seems to be the same stuff month to month. I consider the product spotlight to be the same things as ad and really only look at ads when I am looking to buy. Admittedly, I have no interest in slap bass so I really would not have paid much attention to that particular spotlight, but that doesn't mean that I don't wish to see members of the forum do well and succede.

Good luck and sell lots of books!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I saw your ad but probably noticed it because of a previous thread. I look at that section. I find it useful and it could cause me to go to a web site and check something out. If no web site is listed, forget it.

Good luck with the book!

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I always read the product spotlight. I read the magazine cover to cover at least twice within the first week it arrives. After that I will reference back for certain articles and product reviews. I did read about your book. The fact that you talked about it before made it stand out.

I get but I don't read the e-mail newsletter.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Stuart, it would be nice if you joined in various conversations here and didn't just talk about your books.

Your wisdom on many subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Lol, yeah fair enough! I have not had a great deal of free time recently to do so, but now things are getting a little quieter I'm certainly hoping to involve myself in the forum. Dunno if i have that much 'wisdom' to impart though!!

Cheers

Stu

Dunno if i have that much 'wisdom' to impart though!!

Well, you are writing books on the subject most dear to our hearts. :D
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

It's just a different format advertising section. When BP did their revamp some time back, I offered my comments - one of which was that the format and official-sounding section was misleading.

I always look at it (I'm suuuuch a gearhead) but it provides little info.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Stuart Clayton:

Ok, so what about the Bass Player email newsletter?

Bass Player e-mail newsletter. Is it worth subscribing to (no offense BP's crack editorial staff)? What's in it that I'm missing from the magazine?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Rowbee:

I'm afraid I was distracted from your product somewhat by the necksock!!

Neck Cozy.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Yes, but it should be called a scarf! That's what i call the warm protective wrap i put round my neck!

Cab nappy - is that in case the speaker starts farting?

The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

Archived