Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought a new fish (update 26/11/06: GOT IT)

EddiePlaysBass

Well, more or less ... Found a nice Yamaha TRB6 online and the seller is located in Belgium. I offered 100 euro under his asking price (he asked 600 euro, I offered 500) and he has sent me a mail saying it's mine for 500 :D He'll even throw in a book called Six String Bassics so I could get acquainted with the instrument :thu:

Now all I gotta do is make arrangements for the trip to the other side of the country (for you Americans, it's a two hour drive - start laughing ;) ) and pick it up, which is most likely not until next Sunday :(

Pics as soon as I have the fish ;)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jlrush:

What is 500 Euros in American dollars?

Apparently $640. Don't know if it's a good deal for US standards, but over here the bass costs about twice as much as what I'm paying.

Now I just hope the guy ain't reading this here forum :D And that the neck will not prove toooo wide for my small hands ... That said, I like 'em wide ;)

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Now I just hope the guy ain't reading this here forum :D

I am. And you owe me a bajillion dollars.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Alright !!! Just got a mail, I will be picking it up this Sunday :cool:

I can't wait to get frustrated over the extra string and wide neck space :D And I need a wide-ass strap ... Will push him about the book though ;)

Wish me lotsa bum notes, fellow LowDowners :thu: I have entered the Sixth Realm ...

PS: Maisie, put it on my tab ;)

Alright !!! Went to pick it up today. A very tiresome 2 hour drive (and 2 hours back :freak: ) then spent a while talking to the guy and his parents, and test-driving the Yamaha. Also got to play his upright (wicked) and a very, VERY nice Rickenbacker 4001 ... :D

Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a second-hand (or something similar) Yamaha TRB6. The slightly more narrow string spacing and the added string were weird for a while, and took some reorientation but I just spent 1.5 hour with it and I think I got the hang.

Will need to replace (or boil) the E and B string, as there are older and considerably more dead than the other four strings.

Slapping and popping work great on this baby, despite the "narrow" string spacing (and the dead lower strings) and despite numerous internet mentions of the neck being oh so wide, I find it a very comfortable neck indeed, up to and including the higher register.

I'll be doing a lot of woodshedding in the weeks and months to come, both amplified and unplugged, because a bass like this will definitely raise people's expectations :D

Not sure if this will work for everybody but I have uploaded pics to the photo page of my MySpace . Edit: Apparently that won't do ... I'll have to have a look at the band's website and see what can be deleted because I've used up most of the available space.

As for the bass, I found that the switch from 5 to 6 isn't all that difficult ... but Saturday's rehearsal will show me just how well I've adapted :D I love the feel of the neck (big and wide) and the bass sounds incredible, although I've yet to discover the full tonal palette available.

I might take her apart for a good cleaning, and perhaps have someone with the proper knowledge have a look at the electronics (one of the knobs seems to have "look pretty" as its only function) but other than that this was a bargain :thu:

Well, I've been playing the Yamaha a lot ever since I got her :) I remember you telling me, Seamy, that the six is a very physical instrument and you need to constantly be on top of your game, and well you've got a point there :D

I've bought a wider (leather) strap because this baby is HEAVY !!! I like the wide neck, as mentioned before, and am wondering more and more why I didn't make the leap sooner :D

Took it to rehearsal yesterday and thing went smoothly, save for a bum note here and there. Our singer commented on how my lines sound a lot brighter now. Never realised they listen to what I play :D

Here is a pic of all three of my basses .

And yes, that's a sticker on the fretless :P

Archived