Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which 6-string bass?

dcr

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are happy with a 4, awesome, but if you are curious about a 6, then go for it! Otherwise, you'll always be wondering 'what if'. When I bought my 6, it was a choice between it and a couple of different 5 strings. I had only played 4 strings at that point. I bought the 6 because I knew that I would probably be happy with a 5, but would always wonder what I could do with a 6 if I didn't buy it.

I've posted before that I have found that I never use the high C, but use the low B string quite often. That was something I had to discover, glad I did, I still support other people getting 6 strings if they are curious.

However, this past Sunday I was on rotation at church to play (there are two other bass players I rotate with). The first song we played started out with just drums and bass. The bass line during the intro was this chordal line, using open strings-octave-thirds and some major and minor bar chords. It was fun to play and would be really hard to get right on a 4 or 5 string, but perfect for a 6. BOOM! There, I've used the high C!

It was a blast. The song was basically a 4 chord song, bass line went to straight groove once everything kicked in. Doing the intro made me feel adventurous enough that towards the end of the song, once everything was built up and cookin' I was doing some crazy runs up to the high C string and noodling around. Even made the guitarist look at me, smile, and want to trade off fills. It was stooopid and lots of fun.

O.K. so that was my 6 string adventure......

Originally posted by h364:

Sorry about the noobish question, i've played 4 string bass for two years, i would love my next bass to be a 5+ string. If i was to get a 5 i would probably get a 6 cuz its 5 and more! Yeah, so what our the major benifits of going more than four strings?

The advantage that I have found with 6 string bass is more options. Since I have bought the 6 I no longer downtune with the Guitar for drop d riffs, I figure them with the low B and constuct my line in normal tuning ie fourths. I play more chords and a lot of my lines just could not be played without the extended range. There is less need to jump up and down the neck for phrases which makes certain parts actually easier to play. There are more tonal/timbre possibilities.

All this six string talk is starting to rub off on me as well. I play in a three piece and I think it would be cool to have the extra range to fill up sonic space. I'd also like to do more singing which I hear is also facilitated by a six string since you don't have to change position as much.

I'd love to fiddle around with one for a few weeks before I commit to buying one - not that I actually have the cash to buy one anyway! I'm thinking I'll string up one of my two five strings with a high C and see how that goes for starters. If I'm liking it I may consider trading the five in towards getting a six...we'll see.

Has anyone else tried the High C on a fiver step prior to diving into a six?

http://www.myspace.com/omegamyk

http://www.bassguitarrocks.com

Ibanez BTB 505 equiped w/F-Bass preamp(<-for sale)

Trace Elliot AH400SMX & 4x10

Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Digitech BP8

All this six string talk is starting to rub off on me as well. I play in a three piece and I think it would be cool to have the extra range to fill up sonic space. I'd also like to do more singing which I hear is also facilitated by a six string since you don't have to change position as much.

I'd love to fiddle around with one for a few weeks before I commit to buying one - not that I actually have the cash to buy one anyway! I'm thinking I'll string up one of my two five strings with a high C and see how that goes for starters. If I'm liking it I may consider trading the five in towards getting a six...we'll see.

Has anyone else tried the High C on a fiver step prior to diving into a six?

http://www.myspace.com/omegamyk

http://www.bassguitarrocks.com

Ibanez BTB 505 equiped w/F-Bass preamp(<-for sale)

Trace Elliot AH400SMX & 4x10

Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Digitech BP8

Archived