Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you think of Mesa Boogie?

DavidMPires

Hey guys

I would like your opinion on Mesa Boogie material. Namely cabinets.

I played once trough a mesa 400+ head (all tube) and that thing is fantastic, I will in a near future to buy a 2x10 cabinet and would like to know if any of you play or played trough those cabinets and how they sound?

If this makes diference I will be playing rock/funk/indie with an Ampeg b2r head and a 2x10 Ampeg Svt210he cabinet. And I play active basses.

Thanks

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expensive but very nice heads. Expensive but fairly average cabs.

You could get another 210HE - identical cabs generally pair up better (due to matching phase response) than different cabs.

Another option would be to add a deeper-responding (10"/12"/15") ported cab (the 210HE is sealed isn't it?) to augment the lows but it's hard to recommend one without trying the two cabs together.

If Peavey's 210TVX is tuned like their 410TVX then it'll put out quite a lot more bottom than the Ampeg 210 and may match up well. It's always a challenge recommending gear over here because it's so damned expensive, particularly the more esoteric stuff, so if you can go Peavey there's plenty of used gear about for decent prices. Or Trace Elliott - their old 15" (small or large) are quite nice cabs, though the large one is on the heavy side...

Alex

I didn't decided yet between the 1x15 or the 2x10

I think the 1x15 will get more low.

2x10 quicker response and more defenition. (i think)

Trace elliot is one brand that I like. Maybe cheaper choice.

What is that thing of high sensitive cabs? Do you know anything about it?

Or maybe an ampeg 1x15 with wheels :)

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I had both the small and large TE 1x15 cabs and I very rarely used the small one as it just didn't have the same depth of sound. Even though the large one was a real pig to transport it was worth it.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Rowbee

Does that TE has any wheels?

But also I saw that we can buy a flight case for about £150 whith the beautiful and usefull wheels.

Do you use only the 1x15 or somnething else on top?

I'm afraid it didn't have wheels and I'm not the most muscular guy in the world so I needed help with it up and down the stairs. If I wanted a little extra punch I used my TE 2x10 with horn which worked a charm. I really liked that rig but I like my back more.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I have had two Mesa cabs for about 10 years or so--a 2x10 and a 1x15.

Mine are the older ones with the thick metal grilles.

Let's see... they're um.... effin' HEAVY cabs, but virtually indestructible. My 1x15 has casters on it, and the 2x10 does not.

As for sound... well... they pretty much put out what you put into them. I powered mine with my trusty SWR SM-500 head, and they were very accurate... in restrospect, they were just a bit cleaner than I prefer these days.

In comparision, my Ampeg cabs (when powered by the same head) are much... rounder sounding.

My guitarist buddy sad, "Those Mesas cut right through the music, but the Ampegs surround the music."

Does that help?

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Originally posted by CMDN:

Let's see... they're um.... effin' HEAVY cabs, but virtually indestructible.

Yeah, that's the first thing that crossed my mind, too.

I borrowed a friend's 2x12 wedge combo and 4x12 cab (with casters) for a couple years. The 4x12 came with awesome handles that made it very easy for two people to lug it around. ;)

I thought my current rig sounded better with the MB 4x12 as the bottom cab under one of my 4x10s. This may have at least been partly due to the casters, which uncoupled the rig from the floor. Or it could have been the 12s and how the cab was tuned/ported. However, I liked this combination better than the all MB setup with the 2x12 wedge on top of the 4x12. The wedge by itself was nice in smaller venues, I think due to its monitor-like shape. On top of another cab, not so much.

From the SoCrit Dictionary -

bass amplification - (n) ( Skt "bes" = friggin' and "emplifir" = heavy)

first used in 1956 when a student of archaic language lifted a 4x10 combo and uttered these words right before the ambulance was called.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I thought I'd also add that if I was going to buy a combo amp right now it would be a Mesa/Boogie:

M-Pulse Venture

Those things kill.

Dang, they don't list those at BassNW!

(Said the guy who is in need of a new bass combo amp)

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

I think Chad/Evan can order them but I don't believe they stock any Mesa/Boogie stuff anymore.

Guitar Center carries them. About a month ago I was at the Kirkland GC convincing myself to NOT spend the $1200 on one. They rule that much. REALLY loud, lots of booty, great tone. Rock.

Dammit. Now I really want one again. It would be perfect for about half the clubs I play at. In fact it would rule for the gig I'm doing tonight. :cry:

Cool u just tempt me to buy one bumpcity

Heavy? I will buy a flight case with wheels and put my svt on top.

Just don't know if going for a 2x10 or a 1x15

Archived