Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How funky would you have to be....

Barks

How funky would you have to be to be Meshell Ndegeocello's bass player?!

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rowbee:

All you need to cop his tone is enough money to cop his equipment. He ain't doing anything that special technique-wise(!)

Yeah, but he's does it so well.

Originally posted by Rowbee:

All you need to cop his tone is enough money to cop his equipment. He ain't doing anything that special technique-wise(!)

Don't you find that to be true of a lot of bass playing, though? Lines may not be especially challenging technique-wise, but can be very funky anyway, and with good tone and sincerity you can get the butts wiggling and the house rocking.

With my chops I rely on that, actually...

Originally posted by davio:

Wait...I thought she did her own bass playing.

Well for live shows she has always used as secind bassist (as Stanley Clarke used to do). This allows her to sing over the top. Tyhe bass duels are always a highlight.

On her exquisite album 'Dance of the Infidel' most of the bass is handled by Matthew Garrison and she actually plays very little of the music acting more in the role of composer, arranger and 'auteur' if that's the right word.

Archived