Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Resonance, scale, & fanned frets

dcr

On many 34" scale instruments, resonance problems are not uncommon on the G string. Players of shorter scale instruments often report better resonance on the G string. Fanned-fret instruments are designed to increase resonance of low strings by increasing their scale length...yet they usually leave the G at 34". Why is that?

I know another motivation behind fanned-frets is to give even tone across all strings; perhaps it's difficult to find a mix of scale lengths at which (a) the G resonates better, (b) the benefits of increasing the B-side scale are retained, and © the tone is even all across. That seems a bit unlikely though... Thoughts?

(PS I posted this as a parenthetical query in another thread, but was curious enough to make a separate thread.)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not a fanned fret instruments that's say...

33" G

33.5" D

34" A

34.5" E

35" B

???

Carey Nordstrand built our very own Jim T. (who hasn't posted here in a while) a short scale 6-string. Last I heard, Jim was enjoying it utterly and completely.

I think longer scale G strings sound a touch thin. fat generalization>

Now, maybe some of that can be remedied by a heavier string. A combination of string gauge and scale length variation is likely a fruitful path.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

The shorter the string the higher the note.

The heavier the string the lower the note.

The tighter the string the higher the note.

Heavier strings require either more tension or shorter length.

Longer strings would require either more tension or a lighter string.

I thought the resonance was more due to the damping factors of the rest of the bass. The rest of the bass is not going to vibrate as much due to the lower mass of the G string.

I cant see why changing the length has anything to do with the resonance as a string still has to vibrate at the same frequency. Can you explain this to me?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I think I see now. You shorten the G and increase its mass so the tension can stay the same. Is that right?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived