Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jam Tracks!

Eric VB

Well, the GP forum has these, so why not us, too?

What is a jam track? Something to jam along to. What's so special? There's no bass in the recording, so you're free to jam any way you'd like!

To start things off I'm offering up a twelve-bar blues in A. I put this together in about an hour, so there are some rough edges. But that's ok, because this is just a jam anyway, right? Right!

TBBiAnobass.mp3

You'll want to right-click (control-click for Macs) on the above link and save the mp3 file to your hard disk. This one is about 4.7MB. Enjoy! (There's a limit on transfers on my server, so if you have trouble downloading try waiting 24 hrs and try again.)

As an extra bonus, if you're read the let\'s get serious about scales thread , you may remember Dave Brown outlined some common bass patterns. Well, here they are! So, this is the same jam track with a bass part added for demonstration purposes.

TBBiA.mp3

I don't want to beat anybody over the head with legal issues, but just remember that I retain the copyright on these tracks. As a forum member, even if you just lurk, feel free to download and enjoy playing bass along with them. If you want to record a bass line and post the results back here, that's fine, too. Any other use, please contact me first. 'k?

Don't be shy! If anyone else wants to contribute a jam track, feel free to add to this thread. :thu:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric...nice work...I had thought of doing this myself a number of times, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll download when I get a chance...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, I'll play! Here's a groove in Emajor...there's one MP3 that has drums, piano, and strings doing the chords...the other MP3 has that plus the sample bass line I did (as a midi bass track, not recorded bass)...I've also posted the Midi-0 file so that you can edit what's there if you are so inclined.

The verse (1st passage) chord progression is: E/////// D/////// A/////// E/// D/ A/C# /.

The chorus (2nd passage) chord progression is: E/// B/// F#min/// A/ A B.

The slashes indicate counts that the chord is held for (except for the A/C#, which indicates an A chord 1st inversion, of course.)

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/jamtracks/

Enjoy.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I've been following the thread on the guitar forum and enjoying Fumblyfingers' playing in particular. I've ben thinking in terms of getting some kind of USB interface and posting some solos on that forum so I'm happy you've started this, RBG.

I still haven't bought any kind of computer recording interface though so I won't be posting soon; though one of my students is giving me advice in that regard.

The idea is to record yourself playing along with one of the jam tracks and then post that online (using soundclick.com or similar) with a link here for others to use.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Ric and Dave those are great! and thanks! :D:thu: Ric, as soon as I can get a chance I will pull out the bass track on mine, I still have the original source tracks, and repost for you guys if you like ....LEE

Great! Would love to "jam with Lee"! :thu:

Archived