Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MY bass is messed up :( help

Grim00

Ok so when i play the third fret on the d string as soon as i realese it or mute it the top string is vibratign loud and i make sur ei didint touch it and it sounds liek i plucked and i didint so please someone tell me whats wronG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Grim00:

Ok so when i play the third fret on the d string as soon as i realese it or mute it the top string is vibratign loud and i make sur ei didint touch it and it sounds liek i plucked and i didint so please someone tell me whats wronG

Let's rephrase this:

Okay. When I play the third fret on the D string as soon as I release it (or mute it) the top string is vibrating loud. I make sure I didn't touch it, but it sounds like I plucked it. I didn't, so please: will someone tell me what's wrong?

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

We're all in a hurry.

Your bass is not messed up; your written communication is. A lot of times that really causes a problem.

You are experiencing "sympathetic vibration;" the same phenomenon that causes a wine glass to break when someone sings a high note.

It's pretty odd though...the third fret note is an F, but the top string is a G (unless you mean the low string, which is an E.) Neither string should ring sympathetically if the bass is in tune.

Still, the cure for the problem is called "muting." Generally, the left hand mutes the D and G strings, and the right thumb mutes the E and A strings. We all have to develop the ability to mute.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

We're all in a hurry.

Your bass is not messed up; your written communication is. A lot of times that really causes a problem.

You are experiencing "sympathetic vibration;" the same phenomenon that causes a wine glass to break when someone sings a high note.

It's pretty odd though...the third fret note is an F, but the top string is a G (unless you mean the low string, which is an E.) Neither string should ring sympathetically if the bass is in tune.

Still, the cure for the problem is called "muting." Generally, the left hand mutes the D and G strings, and the right thumb mutes the E and A strings. We all have to develop the ability to mute.

Great explanation of muting, Dave!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Yes, I agree, muting is the issue here.

Do you play with a pick or fingerstyle (plucking)? I'm assuming fingers as you said pluck. You'll most likely have to adapt your plucking hand and fingers in a way to mute strings that you aren't playing.

A common practice is to use the thumb to mute the lower strings (A, E, or B w/ a 5 string bass). Plucking fingers would also mute the string lower than the one you're plucking with the follow through.

Myself being a guitarist who is now playing bass, believe me, that muting was probably the hardest thing for me to learn (I think Jaco even says that in the DCI video).

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

When I had been playing for a month, I made all kinds of strange noises on the bass. I don't think any of the noises were the basses fault.

Like Jeremy said, Find a good bass teacher and I think your strange noises will go away.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've been playing bass for a little more than three years...

In that time, I think I am becoming reasonably competent with my fingerstyle technique.

My bass teacher has just started to teach me some slap technique.

Now my bass is making all sorts of terrible noises!

I know that those noises will become less noticeable as my technique improves though.

:thu:

Seriously - I don't know...maybe your bass would benefit from a decent setup, but I'm guessing technique is the more significant factor here.

;)

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

We're all in a hurry.

I wonder if that is a room mode effect? If you took the rig to another room does it do it?

Originally posted by Grim00:

my dad is really good with technical stuff is there a website that would tell me how to do some of the stuff a bass teacher would do to help set my bass up and adjust it

There are a number around, but you start by checking out this:

http://garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

;)

A bass can always use a good setup. But the ringing of the E string has nothing to do with the bass. You can drop $10k on a custom Fodera & its strings will ring & make all kinds of odd noises if the player isn't muting them. And even a cheap bass with a horrid setup will play quiet if you mute the strings properly.

It's good that you have a teacher. Tell him/her what's happening & ask for some lessons on string muting. That is Bass 101 stuff, so any teacher should be able to show you what to do. (Learning to do it is down to you, though.)

Archived