Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone notice anything weird about this Jazz?

zeronyne

http://rhee.net/LDLD/0fret.jpg

That's right, IT HAS A ZERO FRET!

Master Luthier Dennis Galuszka of the Fender Custom Shop made 50 of these.

Has anyone played a Jazz-type instrument with a zero fret? The only zero fret bass I've ever played was from Michael Tobias (MTD) and it made an appreciable difference.

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by butcherNburn:

I see space for 2 P pickups... ummm....

Funniest thing I've read today.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

OK, you'll have to forgive my ignorance but what the crap is a Zero Fret and where am I supposed to be seeing it?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Nut: the place near the headstock that hold the strings in place. Probably made of bone in this instance.

The you know where is the first fret? The second? Work backwards and you'll see a fret in the zero spot.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I assume you are talking about what looks like a metal fret that is against the nut. I'm not sure what I am seeing in this picture but it does look like a metal "0" fret. You said 50 of these were made?? Do the strings touch the fret? If they do not then I can only imagine it is totally useless. If the strings do touch it, why not just use a metal nut. I'm confused, someone help me out here.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Sorry, folks, I have been on this board for so long that I forget that not everyone has seen something like this.

A zero fret is placed just before the nut so that open strings sound the same as fretted ones. You can't use a metal nut as a substitute because the contact area within a slot is different (hence also tonally different) than that of a fret to string.

On some basses (and many guitars) it makes a huge difference. I have actually had experience on a guitar that previously did not have a zero fret. the notes, especially with overdrive, sounded VERY different in terms of open string vs. fretted. After the addition of a zero fret, the difference was negligible.

Here's a much better picture of the zero fret on that bass:

http://rhee.net/LDLD/0fret2.jpg

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

The you know where is the first fret? The second? Work backwards and you'll see a fret in the zero spot.

I don't see what it is ya'll are talking about what I see looks like a bone nut.
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

OK, I see what you are tlaking about now. It was so obvious that I completely overlooked it.

So it's supposed to help open strings sound like fretted strings?????

Why?

I'm with Jeremy, as I don't see the point in it.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Have you noticed an appreciable difference or all-around change to the intonation from having a perfectly level zero fret? Does it change the brightness of the open string, as it's contact point is much smaller than going thru a nut?

I've wondered about the sound of a zero-fret on an acoustic guitar, but never had the chance to try one out. This looks sweet, however.

Play. Just play.

Archived