Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Much For Total Bass Re-Wire?

h364

Hi, i totally screwed up my bass yesterday, i needed to change the output jack, i've done plently of soldering at school, so i thought it would be a doddle, well one thing led to another and now theres only the wires coming from the pickups left under the scratchplate, please laugh at my expense. I was wondering how much to rewire, it might need a few new pots, but its only a squire so cheap ones would be fine. Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk to some of the forumites from the UK and see if any of them are nearby and knowledgable enough to do it for you and possibly benevolent enough to show you how to do it.

As for a price to get a tech to do it...I have no clue.

If you were near me, I'd do it for nothing - unfortunately you are not.

If the pots are already out & messed up, I'd probably suggest new ones - about £4.00 each for decent ones, about G.£1.00 for cheapies (AxesRUs.co.uk). New jack socket (& plate?) about £3.00.

It takes about 45 - 60 mins to wire - whatever the guy's time is worth.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I'd do it for free. I'm all the way across the pond though and I'm guessing that it would cost a lot more in shipping than it would to get it fixed locally. :)

I'd wager a repair shop is going to charge you for an hour's labor to do it. Probably around 26 pounds 50.

I agree that there is much to be gained from the DIY approach. What you do need is an accurate wiring diagram for your bass. Fender has these on their website. See if you can find the correct one and then you stand a good chance of getting it right. You could use this opportunity to put in better quality pots, but if you are on a budget, then just put them back as before.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

h364, this is an easy DIY job. One thing, use a moderately rated soldering iron (20-25 watts give or take a bit) for the wires. A lot of people get in trouble due to thinking that bigger is better and break out the 100-200 watt weller gun and the next thing they know, their wires' insulation is melting like cheese.

I didn't know if you have a P or J bass so here are some schmatics w/ wiring kits.

Jazz Bass

Precision Bass

Here's some links for basic info for soldering.

Basic Soldering Guide

More info. Note the section on "cold" joints.

Take your time and good luck!

Newf :)

I think working your own thing would be great.

Another thought: Use this as an opportunity to upgrade. You can buy fully functioning upgrade boards already wired with new pickups for not much more than a couple hours of labor.

Even less. Check out Mighy Mite.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I did try it, but as i said it when totally wrong, i only needed to put a new output jack on it, so i did and tryed it and got this awful feedback, when u touched the strings i got noticably worse, so i resolderd continously until the wire was so short that it wouldnt reach the sockets hole! So I cut everything down and left the earth and pickup wires.

Is it a Squire Precision or Jazz bass? You can find wiring diagrams on the web for both. The P bass would be a lot simpler to wire; one pickup, volume & tone, and an output jack.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

H364, I've been playing and working on my instruments for years and finally recently decided I have no facility for wiring. My tech did my J-Bass for 15 bucks (not a lot) but we're friends. If you decide not to do it yourself don't feel bad! Lots of the people on this forum have that gift, but you may not. Save the time and energy for practicing. :D

Can you explain more fully what state your bass is in. Have you taken all the pots out, have you scorched them so badly that they no use now? Have capacitors also been destroyed. I don't follow what you have done. You should be able to remove your bridge and put in a new earth wire if you need to.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

As already stated, this is a pretty good time to start doing it yourself. Schematics are on the web as well as parts ordering. Would be a good time to do an upgrade if you are up to it (and willing to put out some small bucks). Alternatively, about two yrs ago I had my electronics totally replaced by a luthier. He did a great job but it took longer than expected and my action & bridge settings were all rearranged - took some time to re-set but it was worth it. However, it looks like some of the electronics are going to get more complicated in the near future. It would probably be best to learn some wiring now to take care of the easier stuff later (when you get a later model).

Archived