Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fair price for set up?

Ross Brown

A quick question...

I just had my Ergodyne set up by a guitar shop with a good reputation. They lowered the action, fixed a stripped set screw, changed strings for me and adjusted intonation. I am happy with the work. I paid $85. I am clueless, does this seem like a fair price? :confused: I was OK with it but wanted to check with folks with more experience.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only unknown things I see here is the cost to repair the stripped screw. This may have taken a few minutes or a very long time. What price were the strings installed? They could have been expensive. A good setup could take about an hour. At todays labor costs that could be $50 - $60. My first reaction is that the price does not seem out of line.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

If anything as long as you like the playability of the bass you should have a long run of no further "technical' maintenance. What was the type of strings that went on her? And you say set screw... was that for the bridge? Price sounds fair.. actually as long as YOU feel it was a fair price then it was worth it. I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get the love then just hacked and out the door.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I believe the strings were around $25. They were ernie Ball or D addario, I am embarrassed (a little) to say I am not sure. I just asked for flatwounds to be put on. I wanted to give them a try.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

FLatwounds cost more than the round wounds, so that might have something to do with it. I have heard of set-ups costing anywher from $50 to $150, depending on what the tech does to them.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

A reputable shop will itemize it for you and will offer you the alternative of bringing in your own set of strings to put on. My guys do it that way and I rarely ask them what they did because they tell me anyway.

Setups are $40-60 in my neighborhood (metro NYC area) and I bring my own strings to them. I'd give them a little extra to do other things like checking the electronics and fixing up any bad/loose connections, which I can do myself but the people I go to are better with soldering guns than I am.

I did get an itemized report but it was verbal. The clerk read it from the worksheet and they kept it. The intonation is right on, action is great. Sounds like it was fair.

Thanks guys.

Mike Lull charges about that for a good set up, so yeah, it sounds reasonable (assuming they did a good job ;) ).

I just had mine set up at Bass NW, but they do it for free for life if you buy it there. That in and of itself is worth any extra $$$ they charge. BTW, according to the new Bass Player, they are the "best shop in the world". They didn't hesitate to point that out :D

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Archived