Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Project "Magic Johnson"

I was originally going to call this "Super Johnson" but I kinda like "Magic Johnson" better.

I couldn't just let the Johnson sit around and not get used. A quick stop by Mike Lull's shop and I had all the items necessary, either in hand or on order, to make the Johnson playable again.

For Magic Johnson were adding some Bartolini pickups, an Aguilar OBP-2 preamp, black Hipshot light weight tuners, black Hipshot bridge, and all new pots/knobs.

We start by routing a cavity for the 2 9 volt batteries and the preamp.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ1.JPG

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ4.JPG

Set in the pickups, solder all the wires to the pots, make a battery harness, etc..

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ5.JPG

Those Bartolinis have no idea whats in store for them.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ6.JPG

Remove the Johnson logo with 60 grit sandpaper. Then smooth it out again with 150 and 220.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ7.JPG

The Magic Johnson with all the electronics installed and the neck reattached.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ10.JPG

I had to stick a stacked knob on it for the treble/bass controls on the preamp. There wasnt enough room to add another knob.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/SuperJ11.JPG

Coming soon: The rest of this project! Im waiting for the tuners and bridge to show up. Mike had to order them in because he was out of the black ones at the shop. Ill find out tomorrow when they are supposed to arrive and I can finish this sucker up.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh damn! It appears that the Magic Johnson is complete.

I am still very interested in refinishing this thing in yellow/purple to give it a more "authentic" Magic Johnson thing going on. I need to have a discussion with Mr. Lull about stripping the current finish off in the least destructive way. My thoughts right now are to take an orbital sander with 40 grit on it and strip it bare. The engineer in me tells me that there is another way that is slightly less invasive.

If the new paint job happens I'm going to leave it up to the extremely capable hands of my little brother to come up with the paint scheme. If I know him, and I do, there will be ghost flames and more sex in a paint job than you could ever imagine. My little brother is good like that.

Meanwhile, on with the stupid pictures:

Here is the new Hipshot bridge. This bridge cost more than the bass did.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/Finished5.JPG

Some Hipshot ultralight tuners make it go. It's so black that I can see my reflection.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/Finished7.JPG

The Magic Johnson hanging on the wall next to it's brother. Truth be told the Magic Johnson sounds bad ass. Not as 'vintage' as the Lull P4 but DAMN if it doesn't bring all kinds of rock.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/SuperJ/Finished8.JPG

Bumpcity...

I think I love you

So what am I so afraid of

A love that Im not sure of

A love there is no cure for.

:) really, the 2X4 now this. Both make me smile.

Thanks for sharing them.

Someday when I have a garage (on the things to get list just after house and yard) I would love to be able to mess around with things like this.

Jonathan

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I also need to give HUGE MAD PROPS to my man Davio for hooking my ass up with the Magic Johnson foot attire. I feel terribly gangster when wearing them. Thanks, brother!!

How much do I miss my old Converse Magic Johnson high tops in yellow and purple right now?!?!?! Those were so completely bad-ass.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I couldn't just let the Johnson sit around and not get used.

Not to chuck asparagus at your Johnson or anything, but what did you have it sitting around for, anyway? Was it your main bass before you went upscale with the Lull or something? By the way, what did all the new parts end up costing you, anyway?

You might think about rounding off the point at the far end of the headstock to get a little more "what in the world is that?" gris-gris for the folks who see you play it.

The refin sounds like a great idea. What about a new logo for the headstock, maybe just "MJ" in some flowing sort of 3D script, maybe add a dropshadow to make it look more up-town, with the letters canted slightly to the right and the "M" higher than the "J"...

Looks like you had fun and got a cool bass out of the deal. That ads up to a good job!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Any idea what type of wood the body is made from? This is a really nice addition to the 2 x 4. One is made from the least likely parts and body and the MJ is made up of average body & neck parts and upscale electronics and hardware. I would like to hear a close A/B sound comparison as soon as you have the chance.

By the way, you have some very nice woodworking equipment there.

Any thoughts of going into the custom bass building business?

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I have so utterly not seen this thread before today! :freak:

Nice job on the Johnson, s-uu PhD... can't wait to see what happens with the paint. Battery access hopefully won't be too much trouble. Did Mike fix you up with brass inserts and machine screws for the pickguard?

Did you take the 2x4 to Mike? He might have an opening for an apprentice. ;)

PS- Sweet shoes!

- Matt W.

Looks pretty sweet. It also looks like you dumped a fair amount of money into that Johnson.

How is the neck pocket fit? Does it have decent action? Did you change the nut as well? It sounds like it might be a worthwhile project.

Originally posted by Picker:

what did you have it sitting around for, anyway? Was it your main bass before you went upscale with the Lull or something?

I bought it for the sole purpose of stealing the hardware off it for the 2x4 bass. It was much cheaper to buy the cheap Johnson than it would have been to buy the parts individually.

Originally posted by Picker:

By the way, what did all the new parts end up costing you, anyway?

I spent about $500 on all the new parts for the Magic Johnson. The tools to do all the surgery cost a lot more than that. :)

Originally posted by NUTT:

How is the neck pocket fit? Does it have decent action? Did you change the nut as well? It sounds like it might be a worthwhile project.

The neck pocket fits fine. It's snug with very little play. The screws that they used to attach the neck to the body are scary - really really cheap metal. I didn't want to tempt fate even more by swapping out different screws. They work and now that they are back on they'll be fine. I thought about changing out the nut but I didn't. Maybe someday later I will just as another project to do.

I consider this to be a very worthwhile project. Anyone who is even remotely interested in screwing around building their own bass should do something like this. I consider the body/neck of the Johnson throw away. It cost just over $100. You can easily spend more than that on a body. The hardware and electronics could all easily be removed and transplanted to a nicer body/neck later.

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Any idea what type of wood the body is made from?

The BassNW website says that it's alder. I buy that. It's bleached yellow/white in color, has very wide grain lines, and is fairly soft (for a hardwood).

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Any thoughts of going into the custom bass building business?

I've got some other projects that I'd like to do but I seriously doubt that it's ever going to become anything serious. I just like building stuff and solving problems; it's fun!

Originally posted by Matt W:

Battery access hopefully won't be too much trouble. Did Mike fix you up with brass inserts and machine screws for the pickguard?

Did you take the 2x4 to Mike? He might have an opening for an apprentice. ;)

Battery access will be a pain because I'll have to remove that pickgaurd every time I swap them out. The nice thing is that batteries last a long time and I always have a small screwdriver in my case.

I showed Mike the 2x4. He laughed a lot.

Now I need to do some research on removing that paint/finish then get my brother to paint it. I love the idea of a '34' headstock logo. Solid. Kings of the court shake and bake all takers.

Now I need to do some research on removing that paint/finish then get my brother to paint it. I love the idea of a '34' headstock logo. Solid. Kings of the court shake and bake all takers.

http://rhee.net/LDLD/Finished8p.jpg

Wrong number, but too tired to change it. :)

"For instance" is not proof.

I also need to give HUGE MAD PROPS to my man Davio for hooking my ass up with the Magic Johnson foot attire. I feel terribly gangster when wearing them. Thanks, brother!!

It ain't no thang butha'man. Glad to see they made it to you. Hope you enjoy them. Be sure to flaunt them onstage when you debut the purple balla'.

If anybody's curious, these are what the B-man's rockin':

http://www.famousfootwear.com/productimages/ff_ia33358.jpg

I think it's a sign...

I just picked up my race packet for a 5K I'm racing tomorrow. My number? 34.

Do me a favor, Bumpdawg, and play something wicked fast on Magic Johnson this evening. Maybe "Donna Lee" at some sickeningly speedy tempo.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

No, he has to play "Magic Johnson" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers on that bass! He could rap the lyrics while he's doing it!

I'd pay to see that!

Here are the lyrics (I censored them a little to get by the thought police):

L. a. lakers fast break makers

Kinds of the court shake and bake all takers

Back to back is a bad ass fact a claim that remains in tact

M-a-g-i-c see you on the court

Buck has come to play his way and his way is to thwart

M-a-g-i-c magic of the buck

Other teams pray for dreams

But he dont give a ***

Penetrating the lane like a bullet train

Comes the magic blood a telepathic brain

Knucklehead suckers better duck

When the buck comes through like a truck

Scott stops pops and drops it in

On his way back gets a little skin

From the hand of a man named a. c. green

Slam so hard break your t.v. screen

Worthys hot with his tomahawk

Take it to the hole make your mamma talk

I hate to burst your bubble but triple double trouble

Is coming to your town and hes going to make rubble

Kings of the court shake and bake all takers

Lakers are the team that I watch on the telly

Cause they got more moves

That a bowl full of jelly

The buck stops here - pops - then cheers

A roar through the forum

That deafens my ears

The one and only know if his kind

Sits in a throne

Not for the records that he holds

But for being bald and bold

Kareem abdul jabbar

All time great super super star

I hate to burst your bubble but triple double trouble

Is coming to your town and hes going to make rubble

Does anybody want some magic johnson

Kings of the court shake and bake all takers

That's an amazing looking piece of Johnson there! I bought one of those for my starter and still use it as a backup. In fact, I even use it as a primary once in a while simply because I like the feel of it. Curses to you though, for givin' me the idea of soupin' it up...brilliant! The biggest complaint I have with mine is that its not shielded except for underneath the pickguard, a must fix. Also, I was wondering if there isn't a good way to provide access to the battery compartment you made behind the body?
Donnie Peterson

I used Magic Johnson at a wedding on Saturday night. It ruled. While I was making EQ adjustments for the room I played a bit of the RHCP "Magic Johnson" bassline - sadly no one got the joke. After playing it for a whole gig I can really feel where the money goes in the construction of a 'good' bass. It did fine and I wasn't dying by the end of the gig (only 3 hours) but the neck isn't as comfortable as any of my other basses. I'm not sure how to describe it, I just feel the difference.

Originally posted by rockinredneck69:

The biggest complaint I have with mine is that its not shielded except for underneath the pickguard, a must fix. Also, I was wondering if there isn't a good way to provide access to the battery compartment you made behind the body?

Even after adding the active preamp I've not had a problem with the severe lack of shielding. It's plenty quiet and sounds mas rock.

The only way to provide easier battery access would have been to install one of those little flip-out battery doors on the back OR back route it and make a custom cover. Neither of those options excited me a lot since batteries last a good long time. If you unplug your bass when you're not using it you're only going to be taking that pickgaurd off every 6 months or so to swap out the batteries. Not such a big deal if you ask me.

Very cool, thanks. I've always assumed that I get my noise from lack of shielding, would it be from the pick-ups alone? Would replacing them eliminate that? My G&L is quiet until a string is played. The Johnson is humming until I put my palm on the strings. Obviously there are plenty of differances between the two, I just grabbed at the most obvious in shielding. Thanks for your input!
Donnie Peterson

Very cool, thanks. I've always assumed that I get my noise from lack of shielding, would it be from the pick-ups alone? Would replacing them eliminate that? My G&L is quiet until a string is played. The Johnson is humming until I put my palm on the strings. Obviously there are plenty of differances between the two, I just grabbed at the most obvious in shielding. Thanks for your input!
Donnie Peterson

Archived