Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can't Decide...

RI_62Fender

I was thinking about starting a "bass project" and i just can't decide between fretted or fretless. I really love the different sound of fretless, but im worried it won't sound right jammin' with the band. Fretless seems like more of a "lead instrument". Any help? Thanks.
"Bass players go deeper."

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is your current fretted bass and are you happy with it? If so, why not explore the fretless. It will sound the way you play it.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

No...sorry that was probably confusing. I currently have a cheap Squier Jazz. Me and my friends have a band. We play moslty metal type music (but we suck so it just sounds like shit). I also play with another band (they're more softer rock/expiremental). I'm also trying out for the school jazz band. Once I get some money i'm going to put together a bass and relic it, but I can't decide if I want a fretted or fretless.
"Bass players go deeper."

Originally posted by RI_62'Fender:

Once I get some money i'm going to put together a bass and relic it,

Pardon my ignorance. What exactly does this mean?

Not the first part, (I'm always broke too) the second part.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by RI_62'Fender:

Once I get some money i'm going to put together a bass and relic it,...

What, you're going to scratch and dent it?

A fretless isn't any more of (what you term) a "lead instrument" than a fretted bass. It's just a little different and easily identifiable sound.

Go with whatever your heart desires.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Archived