Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

other insruments

thunderbass

You may be already doing this but when you listen to recorded music try to concentrate only on the bass. You will soon learn what an important roll the bass plays in the music. I think once you have established this fact you will want to play bass above all other instruments. There is absoultly no reason to loose interest in it. You may get very discouraged from time to time when you are dissatisfied with your progress but this is natural, we all do. Just keep on playing. You will have tremendous self satisfaction from your efforts.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope my spelling and grammer are up to par. I like this forum and would like to stay.

I play, uh, well you asked.......THE ACCORDIAN!

I played it for 15 years and decided that it just wasn't cool. My parents bought me a bass for my 18th birthday and I never looked back. I also sing in our band (Billy Idol, Judas Priest, Eric Clapton) and play the keyboard, which is just an accordian layed on it's side!

You people are most helpful and I appreciate you all.

Ken

"Off Our Meds" :freak:

Ken

Ken, it must be that I'm the son of an Italian but I absolutely love the sound of accordeon. No kidding. Wish I could play it, there is a certain sadness to the instrument which seems to be inherent, as I've found no other instrument capable of relaying the same feelings.

As for the actual thread, as stated before: there is a guitarist lurking inside me. After four years of bass now, i'd like to try something more "lead" but I think it's more my everlasting desire to be a more melodic bass player.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Eddie-I am also the son of an Italian, my first accordian was one my dad gave me that his uncle played in the war (not sure which war, maybe 1812). My band mates keep asking me to bring it to a gig and play it but I just can't bring myself to do that to the audience. I do love the sound of the thing though. I wish I knew of some rock songs that use one. Anybody know of any?

Ken

"Off Our Meds" :freak:

Ken

Tom Coster sometimes plays accordian with Steve Smith's Vital Information. That's a fusion band, one of the best.

Joe Zawinul's first instrument was the accordian. Even though he doesn't play it anymore, if you listen to him play, you'll hear it in his choice of sounds on his many synthesizers.

I started on guitar, then switched to bass. I still play the guitar, but the bass is my call.Right now I am starting to teach myself piano. I can make chords and play little things, but that's it. My goal is at least to be able to play simple tunes in the next couple of months.

For a long time I had this internal struggle about dedicating myself only to playing bass. I realized that there's is nothing wrong with playing guitar as well. If you really enjoy it, the go for it....

Originally posted by kenthemimic:

I do love the sound of the thing though. I wish I knew of some rock songs that use one. Anybody know of any?

Ken - Zydeco and other cajun music uses the accordian heavily. It's not rock and roll, but a lot of it does rock. Check out Zachary Richard or Beausoleil for examples.
Push the button Frank.

Well, look at it this way. If you learn bass really well it will help you immensely if you ever switch to drums. Those two form the core of the rhythm section.

I learned guitar first, then started trombone a year later, then bass guitar a year after that, then tuba two years later. I played euphonium for a for bit when my school didn't have enough tubas.

I learned to read music starting with trombone, and that made it easy to switch between these instruments because they are all written in bass clef (except guitar).

[before learning trombone, I tried my brother's trumpet. It wasn't for me but the scale I learned came in handy when I switched to tuba.]

I had very brief instruction on drum kit; most of what I know I learned second hand. I've actually had gigs as a percussionist (but not a set drummer). Other than the actual technique, though, learning to read rhythms and subdivide are basic musical concepts that I learned playing trombone.

Lately I've been picking up mandolin and keyboards.

But I've never stopped playing bass since I started.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

I do love the sound of the thing though. I wish I knew of some rock songs that use one. Anybody know of any?

Ken - Zydeco and other cajun music uses the accordian heavily. It's not rock and roll, but a lot of it does rock. Check out Zachary Richard or Beausoleil for examples.
*****Ry Cooder & Chickenskin Music****

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

KoRn RUeL5!!! j/k. yeah I lernt the hard way about all that shiz. Welcome. And Jermey owns the internet, not just this forum.

But i play upright, bass, guitar,a bit of drums, and some keyboards, and i can scream like dani filth/the guy from immortal/ the guy from atreyu. Pretty much ll metal actually i can scream. I'm ok at singing too.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

I love playing bass. Just the same, I love playing a great melodic on recorder (which I get to do in church every now and then). I played sax in school, but it doesn't speak to me. I wish I could play piano and sing better.

I am also son of a son of an Italian (Grandpa was born near Naples). My squeeze box tolerance is limited.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I play, uh, well you asked.......THE ACCORDIAN!

I *love* accordion! I had a baby one for about a month and I loved how PHYSICAL it was. It was a real workout and it was LOUD.

Cool instrument! I always think of the accordion as a cathedral organ that walked out of the church and moved in with the common people.

Archived