Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stack needs some help

Stackimo

Hail fellow lowdowners,

I cannot think of a better place to ask for help on this particular subject, then to ask my fellow lowdowners.

Getting right to it. I am in a cover band, Punched Onion. In short, we are not the most experienced bunch, but have been able to do a very adequate job to this point, given that we all have our real careers and family that keep us bound.

Recently, our guitarist left us to pursue the betterment of his career. We are now left with our female lead singer, myself at bass and vocals, a keyboardist, and a drummer.

Anyway, we took some time off and recently have had a fellow firefighter of mine play guitar on our return to practices. He is a decent rhythm guitarist, but by no means a lead. So unfortunately, many of our past songs that required a lead, are untouchable at this time. Up to this point we have been mainly an alternative rock type band, but have done plenty of what would be considered classic rock, as well.

Now a comunity gig, in our fire district, has come about scheduled for the 28th of October. We have been asked to do it.

Ok, I have already explained too much.

Here is where I need the help. I would like to see if you can help me come up with 70's, 80's, and 90's classics that are basically timeless(appealing to a family type atmosphere), but don't require a lead and of course can be learned easy enough. We all know many 2, 3, or 4 chord type songs out there that can fit the bill. I know I can put in some time and find plenty, but I was hoping you all could offer up a few dandy's.

Thanks

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anything by The Ramones would work! It's all very simple 3-chord punk-rock with catchy melodies and no lead parts at all. I suppose you could tidy up the crazy punk vibe to make it more family-friendly, but then again, that might take all the fun out of it.

Research 60's era tunes, even those in the 50's, for timeless classics that are family friendly and don't require solos.

Motown, soul, Beatles, early Stones; Crosby, Stills and Nash; Elvis, and the list goes on.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Saturday at the Park

Your Song

Saturday's Alright for Fighting.

You Really Got Me

Behind Blue Eyes

Won't Get Fooled Again

Comfortably Numb

Money

Hey Hey, My My

Cinnamon Girl

Tons of other stuff. It strikes me that most Neil Young would work (although his crazy-eyed lead is well known, the song works without it.)

What about Fleetwood Mac? Of course, you have to have a mystical girl.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Collective Soul-Better Now 3 chorder/no solo

Pretty Woman

Great Balls of Fire

You should be able to pull a good set together with any of that stuff...

Ain't to Proud To Beg

Soul Man

Mustang Sally

Mony Mony (heh, JK)

AND the BASS SOLO!!!!

Peace

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Um, what's the keyboard up for doing? Maybe you can shift in that direction. Doors, Elton John, Billy Joel, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.

Other timeless classics that come to mind are the Mamas and Papas (California Dreamin, Turn! Turn! Turn!, etc.). (Guess Turn! is really the Byrds?! Oh well.) Maybe Paul Simon (Scarborough Fair, Slip Slidin' Away, etc.).

A bit biased, but my pidgeon-holing of '90s alternative is that none of it really had any demanding leads. Something like Green Day's "Basket Case", but that's not really "family" content.

If you haven't already, you may want to ask this question over in the GP forum. Or maybe search. I think there was a topic not too long ago about "easy to learn" songs.

Stranglehold by Ted Nugent always gets things bumping.

The leads are slow and laconic, so even your rhythm guy should be able to handle them.

Plus which you can get, like, 20 minutes out of it if you feel like it.

Don't forget to use a phaser or other modulating device on the bass though, if you want to get that true Rob Grange throb going.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived