Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Empty 8-10 bass cabinet?

ransom

I recently came across a guy who replaced all of the stock speakers in an Ampeg SVT 8-10 Classic with Carvin speakers (Why? I'm not quite sure. I was afraid to ask.) Anyway, he sold them to me for $20us. Now I would like to find a pre-built cabinet to put them in. Any suggestions?

peace,

ransom

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice deal, by the way.

Actually, if they are true SVT 10" speakers, they'll be 32-ohm each. So you can get two 8-ohm cabinets out of the deal if you make 4x10" cabinets.

Take the dimensions from Ampeg's website. Ampeg's cabinets seal each pair of drivers separately.

Every once in a while you will get very lucky and find an empty cab on eBay. Personally, I'd follow getz76' advice and look for two 4x10" cabs.

And that was a screaming deal you made. Wanna help me buy a new car?

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Ransom,

Last week I dropped in at Tulsa's finest bass superstore, Golden Pawn on Peoria. They have a pair of Yamaha 4x10 cabinets that need some major luv.

Once upon a time they had a gutted Sunn 6x10, but I don't recall seeing that on my last visit.

- Matt W.

Thanks for all of the replies. I followed the links supplied by getz76 and Jeremy C, to find a line of cabinets that a friend of mine carries. I didn't know Legion offered empty cabs. I called him and he is going to call back today with prices on 4-10 and 8-10 empty cabs. He said he'll give me a good deal. Thanks for all the help.

MattW, I called Golden Pawn and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I wish Kevin F. still worked there. BTW, we need to get together for an Oklahoma LDLD throw down.

I did test the speakers and they all seem to be in good working order. Hopefully that will play out when I get it all hooked up. If not, does anyone know where I can get a good deal on raw speakers?

peace,

ransom

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

Originally posted by ransom:

MattW, I called Golden Pawn and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I wish Kevin F. still worked there.

Interesting. I was just there last week and the cabinets were up in the amp room, one of them in very rough condition. Every couple months I'll drop in just to snoop around. I don't recall meeting Kevin, but I've heard the legend. Seems like there's rarely anyone at the instrument counter anymore, and the amp room is in shambles.

The deal you get through your friend could work out better; at least a new empty cab will save you the fuss of reconditioning someone else's cast-offs.

BTW, we need to get together for an Oklahoma LDLD throw down.
Absolutely. PM me.
- Matt W.

Archived