Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha BB414 or BB614

atlnikko

Hello,

Looking for feedback from any owners of the Yamaha BB414 or 614 basses. I am considering a purchase of one and I would like to find out what current owners think of their bass? I play mostly blues and jazz styles today using a Fender P-Bass or Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray.

Thanks,

Eugene

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by atlnikko:

Hello,

Looking for feedback from any owners of the Yamaha BB414 or 614 basses.

Eugene

I presume the BB614 would be very similar to the BB615?? For what it is worth I have not owned one, but I tryed a BB615 3 different times over the last 10 months, and it recently came down to a choice between the BB615 and a Ibanez BTB555. I ended up buying the Ibanez, cause it's wide tone range suited my needs better, but every time I've tried the BB615, it has really impressed me for its feel, sound, and general playability. If I had the money, I would have brought a BB615 as well, cause they both have their unique sound and feel. I thought the fret board on the BB615 was more comfortable than the BTB555, although I've got used to the Ibanez after a few days.

If I get the chance in the next few years to buy a good well priced used BB615, I would jump at it. An extremely impressive bass.

MUSIC is food for the soul

I can't tell whether you're asking whether these are good basses, or whether you're asking for a preference for the one model over the other.

They are good basses. But if that's your question, you really should try one for yourself, if possible.

As for a preference, the difference is that the 614 is active & the 414 is passive. I have a 605, which was the model they replaced with the 615, & it's a really great instrument. Yamaha seems to be putting pretty decent preamps in their basses.

Archived