Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown New, Or Trace Elliot Used?

h364

Hi, im considering either a trace elliot set up, (pictured below), or a brand new ashdown set up, ill start with a few points:

Trace Elliot:

Used, and fairly cheap, now they are all seperate auctions on ebay, so i could offer the seller for the set up or just buy single items, any way i know the head in this set up is very good and defintly worth the asking price of £325, after only 3 years. Anyway heres the Trace Elliot Rig, the only real down fall is the cabs they arnt all that good and arnt particulary loud either but heres the pic. http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/1e/0e/3a_12.JPG

And Heres The Asdown:

This Is Brand New, Also both of these are around the same price £40 between tops, i could get a Ashdown MAG-300h Bass Pre Amp, now im not to sure on this, pre -amp, with this do i still get an amp head that will, after input give me output into the following two speakers? Theres a Ashdown MAG-410T Deep Tweeter Cab and Ashdown MAG-210T Deep Tweeter Cab or i get the single "15 driver version for the same price, which says its 50w louder. Heres some pics:

[see TimR's post below for Ashdown speaker cab pics]

Let Me Know What You Think, or even any thoer brands that are out this kind os standard? Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SeamyD:

Originally posted by soretro80s:

trace elliot used. hands down

I second this!!
the over all quality and sound of TE..is just so much better. ashdown is decent. Id play one if it came down to it. still, if i had to choose trace elliot..or ashdown..you better belive id choose the trace elliot.

Get the used Trace Elliot. That is a seriously badass rig, especially for an 'intermediate' player...

And when you (inevitably) come to upgrade from the TE, because you bought it used you'll be able to sell it for what you paid - so basically a free amp!

When you say that the cabs aren't that good and aren't that loud either, I'm guessing what you really mean is that the cabs aren't rated at many watts. Fortunately the wattage rating is the least important spec for any speaker cabinet - far more important is the sensitivity and the frequency response. I'm pleased to reassure you that the old Trace Elliot cabs are very sensitive and go plenty low enough. So although their wattage rating is low, they go seriously LOUD. And I do mean LOUD.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Get the used Trace Elliot. That is a seriously badass rig, especially for an 'intermediate' player...

And when you (inevitably) come to upgrade from the TE, because you bought it used you'll be able to sell it for what you paid - so basically a free amp!

When you say that the cabs aren't that good and aren't that loud either, I'm guessing what you really mean is that the cabs aren't rated at many watts. Fortunately the wattage rating is the least important spec for any speaker cabinet - far more important is the sensitivity and the frequency response. I'm pleased to reassure you that the old Trace Elliot cabs are very sensitive and go plenty low enough. So although their wattage rating is low, they go seriously LOUD. And I do mean LOUD.

Alex

yeah they are really LOUD. Ive never personally owned one. My buddy had a wall of trace elliot. OMG!! definatly the best rig ive played out of.. the bass was so amazing..it traveled right through you. not to mention the claity of the over all sound is second to none. The only other rig thats moved me like that was a david eden stack. dont even get me into that.. its a whole other story on its own.

Hi h364, I believe I used to have that exact same Trace Elliot setup - if the head is the AH300SMC? I used to get on really well with it but I have to say I always found those compact 150w cabs a little bright sounding for my liking.

I invested in the 200w full size 1x15 cab which I found to be a lot bigger and warmer sounding, just not particularly mobile - I think I picked it up for just over £100. Bring a friend to gigs.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I can't comment on the Ashdown, but I own a Trace Elliot AH400SMX with a 4x10 cab. I've owned them for over eight years and performed well over 100 shows with them. They've never let me down and have always been 'loud enough'.

http://www.myspace.com/omegamyk

http://www.bassguitarrocks.com

Ibanez BTB 505 equiped w/F-Bass preamp(<-for sale)

Trace Elliot AH400SMX & 4x10

Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

Digitech BP8

What's this a Trace Elliot Thread? I can't believe it. I've tried searches here before but nothing. Almost given up on any other bass players actually using Trace gear.

I have a 715 combo. 300W into 15 inch with 7 band EQ. It has 2 different types of compression which sound very good and natural. Great gear. Very LOUD. But I think the cab is made of concrete or lead, Very HEAVY.

Now that they've started producing again, I think they are owned by Peavey or are some division of whoever owns Peavey, the support will now be back.

I've used Ashdown in a studio and been impressed by the tone, but can't comment on reliability or weight as I've not owned one.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

H364, you can edit your original post using these links.

http://www.timr.cd2.com/bassplayerimg/ash2x10.jpg

http://www.timr.cd2.com/bassplayerimg/ash1x15.jpg

http://www.timr.cd2.com/bassplayerimg/ash4x10.jpg

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I have owned a Trace BLX80 combo for 10 years, I have played literally hundreds of gigs with it and it is currently on loan to a friend and it still sounds incredible. If Trace had been in Production two years ago when I bought my GK rig I would have bought one of them.

Archived