Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I Teach Bass?

Cthulhu Fhtagn

OK, talking to a guitar-playing co-worker today, his son is also a guitar player. Drops his kid off at the ex-wife - who is at some relatives house - and notices a bass. He's told the bass belongs to the 12 year old nephew. Kid just got the axe and doesn't even know how to tune the thing. But he loves to play. So I say that I can teach him how to play. Talk to the kid's parents and get back to me.

I am pumped at the prospect of teaching someone to play completely from scratch, hell, I'll even try to teach him to sight read standard notation. Since I'm barely an intermediate myself, I can only teach so much, and I am offering to teach for free.

Am I in over my head? Any of you pros out there know of any kind of primer, coursebook, workbook or what not I could use to properly instruct the youngster into the wonderful world of long sound waves, low frequency, proper technique and sight reading? Should I beg off while I have some modicom of dignity and credibility intact?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go for it - you've already lost what modicum of dignity you might have had when they found out that you were a bass player. :)

Seriously, the biggest single thing (especially with a 12 year old) is to try and find out what kinda stuff he wants to play, and to let him leave each lesson feeling like he's getting closer to that kind of playing. Then cram as much technique, theory, etc. into him as you can without him noticing...

Oh - the other thing; make SURE that you give him stuff to practice and home, and make sure that he does it.

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

I'm not a teacher, but I don't think it would be wrong to try and help a kid get started, then send them to someone else when they're ready.

It seems that most beginners just want to learn songs instead of jumping right into serious lessons, so you might want to ask the kid about it up front.

It would be fun to do and I say go for it.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

The co-worker says the kid is an ex-trombonist. Thinks the kid would like to play bass in school for ensamble, so I'll assume jazz. I have started attacking some jazz theory myself some months ago.

Dave, for want of a well placed rim-shot...

Go for it! One of the best things I did for my own playing was starting to teach. So far I'm working on teaching my 3rd guitar student(possibly a 4th soon) and I've started 2 other people on bass. There's so much more to teaching than just being a decent player. You have to learn how to learn and then how to appropriate that for a kid. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

I say do it. I've never taught bass, but from trying to teach other subjects, the best way to learn a subject is to teach it. You'll be forced to achieve new levels of understanding of things that you thought you already knew.

Just be prepared to say, "I've taught you all I can, you need a different teacher now."

Ed

Originally posted by Bruiser:

the best way to learn a subject is to teach it. You'll be forced to achieve new levels of understanding of things that you thought you already knew.

Ed

Very true. I've taught learners brass instruments. and it really makes you think a lot differently having to explain even just the basics. I was surprised by that, but in a positive way.

Go for it.

MUSIC is food for the soul

Just be prepared to say, "I've taught you all I can, you need a different teacher now."

Ed

I want to change my answer. If you are prepared to say this, then I agree, try it, you will learn a lot. I just worry about you teaching something that will need to be undone, because you didn't quite get it right. That's what I would worry about for myself. Kinda that "I don't know what I don't know" philosophy.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Originally posted by Ross Brown:

Ed

. . . I just worry about you teaching something that will need to be undone, because you didn't quite get it right. . .
Well, playing bass isn't exactly rocket science, how far wrong could he go? Social Critic is going to teach the kid how to tune, what are the notes on each string, what is the role of the bass in a typical band, how to play the MOAB line. He's not teaching him brain surgery or how to dismantle nuclear warheads or anything. At least, I hope not. :D

Ed

I have also considered this same situation. Teaching the novice from the very basics. My theory is, get a great instruction book; all you have to do is stay one page ahead of your student. I think that is what college professors do teaching Physics.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Rocky3840:

...all you have to do is stay one page ahead of your student. I think that is what college professors do teaching Physics.

More true than we'd like to admit....

Not a democracy, but my vote is do the teacher thing. I like the idea of a good book, but don't be afraid to augment it with your stuff, your slant, and some of the tunes that the kid is into. One brilliant thing that my teacher did years ago was to specifically pick a tune that incoporated the lesson of the week. He did it in such a stealth way that it never felt like drudgery in any way. Probably easier said than done, but you're also smarter than you think you are. Do it, do it, do it. Hooray for Social Critic!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

If you do it. Remember, more important than the Technique or Theory you teach your student, Build enthusiam, make it fun, let them work on their favorite music. If they love taking lessons, all else will come in time.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Social Critic,

Have you started? What has happened? What's been good, what's been difficult?

Inquiring minds (read: nosey people) want to know.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Due to difficulites beyond my control (me getting ready to audition with this band, and the divoriced parents of this poor kid acting like a couple of chuckleheads), I was forced to delay the start of the lessons. After I set up a time for the audition next weekend, I will see the dad a work and try to set up a time.

Shouts out to our friend Ed, I've decided to go with the Hal Leonard Method for a teaching guide.

I was divoriced myself, but the parents should be able to take five friggin' minutes out of their dislike for each other and look and think of what's best for the kid first. They both think it's a good idea, but for some reason they can't agree on the details (what details is none of my business). Will keep you posted as events unfurl.

Ironically, I was about to ask the very same question. A young man approached me after church tonight and asked if I would teach him. I told him I would get back to him.

After reading the wisdom here, I think I just might.

Gulp.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Yeah some guy asked me. Having had a few lessons myself an realized the mistakes my teachers where making (as in not taking a blind bit of notice what type of music I like and trying for an hour to make me right out pentatonics in Standard Notation) i'm gonna give it a try.

If I suck I will pass him on to someone more experienced

Archived