Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SWR 2-12 Problem/s

rooster6550

Anybody else out there own an SWR "Twelve Pack" 2-12" cabinet?

Reason I ask: Mine is sounding like a piece of crap. :mad: I don't think it's a spearker problem, near as I can tell. The cab itself seems to be rattling, buzzing, etc.

I don't push it terribly hard -- it's more of a side-fill bass "monitor" for big rooms or a small-gig stand-alone cab. I've tightened and re-tightened every screw on it. Still the "vibration/rattle/buzz" persists. I've done all I can but tear it apart, get out the caulking gun :idea: and try to seal it/glue it together somehow.

Drives me nuts :confused: . . .I spent a fair amount on it (even with my discount at the music store where I worked). I've taken good care of it -- my EQ is relatively conservative, I never over-powered or under-powered it. It's traveled in the band trailer, but has never been knocked around.

I'm thinkin' a cab like that -- with SWR's rep for building reliable, durable gear -- should hold up a lot better.

Now what? Start maybe replacing speakers? Buy an Avatar 2-12" cab, sell the POS for what I can get and cut my losses? In its place, I brought out my old Altec-loaded Ampeg 2-15" cab that looks like it's been shot at with a shotgun. It's several years older than me (I'm 34) and doesn't rattle/buzz or f**k up 1% as much. :rolleyes:

Arrrrrggh! Any ideas as to what's wrong, or any similar experiences?

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you been able to listen closely enough to localize the buzz to a specific spot on the cab, grill, or otherwise?

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Rooster -

Where've you been? Long time no see. Send me a note sometime.

Sell it.

BTW - I'm holding on to the Bergie 112 for now. Did some EQ'ing (as suggested by Jim B. and others on the forum) and it helped. For louder gigs I think an additional 112 is the way to go. Now if I could only find a used EX or HT112...

So far as I can tell, the "rattle/buzz/vibration" problem comes from the "bottom" of the cab -- where the port (slot port on the bottom) is.

I know what a blown speaker sounds like, and that ain't it.

As you see it in the picture on the Fender/SWR Web page, the "Twelve Pack" cab lays the long way -- horizontally. But, I generally put it on a bar chair or road case to get it up where I can hear it better, and tip it so it sits vertically (the long way "up and down"). Could that be a factor?

I'm at a real loss here. . .I've flipped other cabs on their side, used 'em that way frequently, and never had a problem.

BTW, Steve: I'll PM you later. For the moment, I've just been working and playing as often as I can, otherwise layin' low.

Peace. . .

-- Stefan Johnson

I have a Goliath III that started buzzing several months ago. After a bit of investigating I found that the foam surrounding the drivers was peeling off. When I would hit certain notes, that foam would vibrate against the grill and create the offensive noise. I used some glue to tack the foam down and haven't had any buzzing since.

I don't know if your 2x12 has this same stuff around the drivers but it might be worth a look.

Thanks guys. . .

Never thought of those two things. :idea: Never thought they'd possibly cause that much audible noise.

I'm gonna pull the grille off the thing, inspect it that far and, if that fails to produce any possible/probable cause, pull the speakers and have a close look inside.

Again, thanks for the info/suggestions. Much appreciated. :thu:

-- Stefan Johnson

No resolution yet. . .Might have to wait until Sunday when things slow down a little. If I find out what it is, I'll post what I found.

-- Stefan Johnson

Archived