Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question: What songs go with what scales?

owens hound

Hello Fellow LD's

I asked this question on the Guitar forum and know that there are many here can shed some light on this topic as well.

I've been working a lot lately on theory, specifically with scales, modes, intervals, walking bass, reading standard notation and learning the fret board better. I've been learning different scales and am now working on applying them to songs. I've got a basic idea about modes in the Major scale and how they apply to what chords are being played and what scales can be played over them.

Can anyone tell me some specific songs and what scales and modes are used in them? I'm hoping that being able to listen to specific songs knowing what their modes and scales are in advance, this will help me identify them in other songs better. Any style of music is ok as I think that hearing music I may not be familiar with is never a bad thing and something can always be learned from it.

Any suggestions as to how to identify this on my own would also be appreciated.

thanks,

Jason

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mississippi Queen by Mountain - E mixolydian.

You do realize what you are asking ... there are about a scudzillion songs written since Oog Hairybutt pounded on a hollow log with a stick in Kenya about 2.75 million years ago. A quick look in the Bass Grimoir shows (a quick count) 20 different scales. Each scale can start on any note (total of 12 notes, except the 13th one my squire plays). You do the math.

Go to sheetmusic.com and just look a the list of freeware they have and see the songs and their keys.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All in all, to learn your modes better (major scale for now), start with Ionian and sing all of them. Yeah, singing, oh my god, but it's totally worth it. Get so aquainted with them that you can hear a mode and name it, or be able to sing, oh say, Lydian, on the spot, anywhere. Learn what makes them what they are as you go (such as Lydian being a major scale with a sharp 4th). This'll take time, but in the end, you'll be able to pick out modes on any song, be able to pick up playing any song, and improv a ton better (if you're into that),

That's my advice

X

Archived