Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Larry Grenadier and other stuff...

bassric

I went to see Brad Meldhau trio yesterday at the Ottawa Jazz festival. Even though I knew what to expect, I was totally won over by this show. But not only did I somehow rediscovered Meldhau, I was totally impressed by the rhythm section, especially Larry Grenadier on double bass.

I cannot say anything but : Holy s! How can someone get to play like that? It has been a long time since I heard such savant and developed walking lines and support to jazz pieces. His solo in All the thing you are was absolutely riveting. Although this was his only formal solo, you could follow him the entire show, playing almost as a contrepoint. I know that Meldhau hates to be compared to Bill Evans. I understand now that having someone of the calibre of Scott LaFaro in his trio might have helped trigger those comparisons. And the guy has a magnificent tone I dont know what bass he plays, but it did not seem to have been built yesterday Too bad it took half the show for the sound guy to figure out how the bass had to sound.

I also discover a genius drummer: Jeff Ballard. I never heard of him, although I realized after the show that I probably heard him before since he played with everybody including Chick Corea, Kurt Rosenwinckle, Charlie Hunter, and other losers like that He has a band with Grenadier (Fly) that I am going to check out. But I am telling you: seize any opportunity you have to hear this drummer. A true artist.

A couple of days before that , I saw the Jon Gordon trio, with Gordon on the alto sax and Ben Monder on the guitar. I went mostly to see Ben Monder, since I did not know of Jon Gordon. There also I discovered a great musician. I really liked the way Gordon articulated his phrases on the alto saxophone, the guy is a master improviser. And Ben Monder he sounds as if he has integrated Frisell and Scofield and take it a step further. I will definitely try to follow the careers of these musicians.

It feels good to get to know new stuff.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived