Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Radial J48, at home review

Mike Bear

Just posting about my good night with a Radial J48 and my (O.G)Ben Loy Jazz. It was an on line session from home. Female artist that I would compare to Paula Cole. Though I don't like making that comparison. I think it's the music.

Any how, I always get a good sound with the Geddy but tonight's champion had to be the Radial. Some days I have bad grounding where I live and most days, it's not as quiet as I'd like. Tonight it was dead quiet. My bass sounded very even in all registers. I did a test with and without the box, though some may not notice, I certainly did. It's the sound of my bass rather the sound of my bass with a blanket over it. I didn't even use or need any compression at any point. I'll give myself some credit on that. I did a test mix on the track and I put a high pass at around 40 which is hardly anything, more dialed to my taste. It could go without EQ. Honestly, the producer can do what they want with the track now they have it. They seem stoked on it.

So this is a good thing. The Radial as far as I know has to be the truest DI I've every played. I've played a few of them. I think my curriosity goes only as far as trying out a Demeter one day(cue Max). live less than 10 miles from that place. Other than that I'm very happy with this piece. We all know how rare it is that we are happy with our gear. Now if they only made a 6-string version of the Geddy...

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review Mike. :cool:

After this and Steve C's review of the Radial JDI this line is becoming more interesting to me the more I read. The Bassbone seems like a nice pre also and I'm sort of leaning toward it.

Are all the Radial pre's equipped with Jensen transformers like the JDI? That seems to be the claim to fame of that box.

Jim

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived