Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Install a split P pickup between two J pickups on a Jazz bass?

bassdrummer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, it can be done. Doesn't mean you should. Save a little extra money and just buy a solid MIM Precision Bass.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I just have a hankering for a "best of both worlds" bass. Sort of like the Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass. I have a MIM Jazz which I've upgraded into a Geddy-like bass with a Badass II bridge and U.S. Vintage Jazz Bass pickups. It's a classic sunburst finish with an aftermarket tortoiseshell pickguard. I like the sound of the Mike Dirnt signature P bass, which also has a Badass II bridge and Custom Shop '59 split P pickups. So I'm thinking about trying to have that P pickup installed between the two Jazz pickups.

What I'm wondering is -- will the P pickups be much closer to the bridge than they would be on a regular P bass? If so, how would that affect the tone?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Stu Hamm's Fender Urge is just like that. An excess of options though?

Alex

Excess is bliss!

Here's the "Urge" bass:

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/basses/0191500886_xl.jpg

Incredible. I think the jazz pickups might be farther apart than on a standard jazz bass, though. I love the idea of having all those choices of tone combinations out of one bass.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

I think the pickup position matters more than the type of pickup, and the neck pickup on a J and the pickup on a P are in a very similar location.

I'd be more inclined to use a decent onboard EQ to morph the neck J-pickup into a more P-like sound. The new Audere preamp seems to be the bomb!

Alex

May I suggest that you buy an inexpensive Squier Precision Special that has the two pickups and then you can just add a Jazz pickup up near the neck. You can get one for less than $100.00 and experment on that and don't modify a good bass until you are sure it is worthwhile. Personally, I think you will find it is not a good idea. Like Alex said, the position of the pickup has a HUGE effect on the sound. Look at a Les Paul guitar and see the position of the neck pickup. I think mounting a pickup that far forward on a Bass would be TOO warm and mellow.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived