Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Carvin BRX rig is better for 5 string -- BRX810.2 or BRX212?

bassdrummer

Given the different speaker configurations and cabinet designs, which is better for a low B string? I play a G&L Tribute 5 string with bass and treble fully boosted, active/single coil mode with both neck and bridge pickups on. That's too much low end for my Yorkville XM50 1x10 combo to handle without breaking up and distorting. I like the small footprint and portability of both these Carvin rigs. Your thoughts?

BRX810.2

http://www.carvin.com/images/thumb/BRX810.2.jpg

BRX212

http://www.carvin.com/images/thumb/BRX212.jpg

Carvin BRX bass systems

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The specifications info from the Carvin website says that the BRX810.2 goes down to 28 hz (doesn't specify whether that's at -10 db or not)while the BRX212 goes down to 36 hz at -10 db. Is that a significant difference -- 28 hz compared to 36 hz? I've read that a low B fundamental frequency is 31 hz, so it seems that the BRX212 is not quite low enough ... or is that difference of 5 hz negligible?

--Rush, "Limelight"

Obviously you would want something that can reproduce the freq range of your instrument - I wouldn't call the difference negligable.

There have been more than a couple people here who have played the BRX including myself. Personally, I found it lacking balls - but that's just me.

2 suggestions -

1> Do a search

2> Go to Carvin and play both at the highest volume they will allow.

You may try setting your active to the nuetral position to start.

Good Luck

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Full bass boost? You may want to re-think how you EQ. Often it is better to CUT frequencies.

On to the question at hand. Carvin is easy. There's a 2 week trial. Just order both of them, play them side bt side for 2 weeks, keep the one you like and send the other back.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not ready to buy yet, just in the "curious to know what to save for while frustrated with my current situation" phase.

As far as how I EQ, I like to experiment--plenty of options with my Tribute bass--but the settings I mentioned seem to be the most "demanding." I figure that if the rig I'm playing through can handle THAT particular "extreme" EQ'ing, it can handle any task I throw at it.

Since I live in CA, I'll probably end up driving down to a Carvin store with my Tribute and A/B the two rigs there. That is, unless I find something better in the same price/portability/performance range.

Any other suggestions?

--Rush, "Limelight"

On to the question at hand. Carvin is easy. There's a 2 week trial. Just order both of them, play them side bt side for 2 weeks, keep the one you like and send the other back.
I Love It! :D

Don't forget to keep a fire extinguisher handy for your credit card.

Hey bassdrummer - I have a Fender BRX300 combo with a Carvin 15 in it I would be willing to let go pretty cheap and I'm in Cal too. Message me if you're interested.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by SteveC:

Full bass boost? You may want to re-think how you EQ. Often it is better to CUT frequencies.

Actually Steve, on the G&L L-series basses the treble and bass tone controls are both passive (ie. meaning cut only), so full-on is kind of the default. That's how I usually run mine...occasionally I may back off some lows or highs. Full-on generally sounds like a normal active EQ with a just a little bit of boost.

And yes, that 5 Hz can make a difference but In think it depends a bit on the bass. For a bass that has lots of midrange focus (for instance, my Stingray5), the B-string doesn't sound so different from the E-string through a cab that doesn't drop down to a 31Hz low B fundamental. However, for a bass that has more focus on the fundamental frequency (for instance, my Conklin GT-5 and Dean Edge 5 fretless), I think that 5 Hz of reach is more noticeable...for instance, the B-string on my Conklin doesn't sound nearly as authoritative through my Berg HT-322 cab (37Hz) as it does through my Acme LowB4 (31 Hz) while that's not as true of the Stingray5, keeping everything else the same. So, in a nutshell, the more fundamental the bass produces, the more that 5Hz matters. That makes plenty of sense if you think about it. The G&L is a deep-sounding bass but still has plenty of mid bite...I would kind of put it somewhere between a Stingray5 and the Conklin GT-5, but I'd say that 5Hz difference would indeed be noticeable.

Just as a thought, you might want to take a look at the Acme cabs (www.acmebass.com). They are power-hungry, but their reasonable price for what they are certainly balances out the need for additional amplifier power, IMHO.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

How loud do you need to go? If you're not in a full-on rocking out situation then an Acme Low-B2 will really let you hear what your bass sounds like, right down to the low B fundamental (and right up to the highest overtones). And the B800 or B1500 should push it nicely.

I think those two Carvin options will go louder but not as low and not as accurate. But sometimes that midrange gnarliness is what you need to be heard. I wouldn't assume anything from the quoted specs - the 210 is a conventional 2-way ported dual 10" whose performance is totally dependant on how well the cab is designed. The 212 is a very unusual design which I would expect to be short on deep bottom but have plenty of midrange attitude (and be louder). Go test drive them and report back!

Alex

Archived