Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Real switch stories?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just want to remember you guys that this topic was REAL SWITCH STORIES. you converted it in a PC vs MAC topic. Which i have convinced is bored, and useless. What is better, WHAT YOU LIKE MOST, or WHAT WORKS BETTER FOR YOU. I just wanted to know REAL switch stories.
Rebuilding My Self

A great reason not to buy into a closed system like Apple... From eweek.com: August 2, 2002 Apple to Slam Lid on Mac OS 9 By Daniel Drew Turner and Matthew Rothenberg Apple Computer Inc. plans to crank up the heat on users and developers slow to move to Mac OS X, sources told eWEEK. A tweak to new models in its Macintosh line of desktop and portable computers will prevent booting into Mac OS 9, sources said, leaving the Unix-based Mac OS X as the sole operating system.

Had a PC (Win95). Switched to a G4. Now I have the G4 and use a PC (WinXP). Happy with both. They both seem to run really well, although WinXP has those annoying things that pop up every once in a while -- the little prompts and such. Oh, well. And yes, that above post about Mac slammin' the door on OS 9 is not so good, it seems...

[quote]Originally posted by Talcott: [b]Loud list I am a professional guitarist, I do not adjust the intonation or set up my guitars, I pay someone who does that for a living, a professional who does it well. If I do not like something I give hime feedback. If anyone is being pompous it is you. Asserting that someone doesn't "care about their art" becuase they don't pay attetion to the few parameters you have ordained as valuable, strikes me as being narrow minded. Their is a very finite amount of attention we can spend on an infinite amount of possibilties I as alchol have chosen not to tweak with our computers as one of them. You have, may you enjoy it ;) Talcott[/b][/quote]Maybe you misunderstood me, After you have your guitar set up, every time you change strings, or go into a colder/warmer studio or gig, don't you tweak the saddles a bit to improve the intonation? It has been my experience that most guit players will do this on the spot tweaking, and that is the analogue I am speaking of. Just as alchol said he will bump a few strings into tune on the piano when needed, that is more information than he gave before and so now he doesn't sound so pompus. But rest assured, you have to learn how your box operates and how to get around the niggley problems that are associated with them weather mac or pc, much like tweaking your intonation saddles. This is why there is a DUC, and other help forums.

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Had a PC (Win95). Switched to a G4. Now I have the G4 and use a PC (WinXP). Happy with both. They both seem to run really well, although WinXP has those annoying things that pop up every once in a while -- the little prompts and such. Oh, well. And yes, that above post about Mac slammin' the door on OS 9 is not so good, it seems...[/b][/quote]To show pop-up descriptions for folder and desktop items Open Folder Options in Control Panel. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Folder Options . On the View tab, select the Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items check box. Notes To apply folder settings only to the open folder, on the View tab, clear the Remember each folder's view settings check box. To view pop-up descriptions for items in a folder or on the desktop, point to the item you want to view. hope this helps....

[quote]Originally posted by alcohol: [b]Henchman, The idea that the achievment of some prosiac mechanical skill like building a pc gives someone some kind of professional advantage fails me. It might give a professional advantage as an assistant to a real musician that uses a computer, but not much advantage for making and creating music. [/b][/quote]Well, It sure as hell is an advantage when you develop a problem on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend. And can't get the job with a tight deadline done, until you can get your Tech person to come in on a tuesday morning. At wich point your out of time, and have to tell the client "oops, my computer died, so I'm gonna miss the delivery." I've run into these types of situations, and have NEVER had to give the client an excuse. Because I can fix 99% of the problems myself. All it took was extra hours spent researching and learning. Instead of countless hours watching TV or hanging out in the Bar or local strip club. So again, for me the " I'd rather be playing" excuse is a load of crap. A real Pro knows his tools inside and out.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

[quote]Originally posted by alcohol: [b]loudist, You can't resist the personal insult either. I play guitar a bit too, and do all those things to my guitar and amp. What I don't do is fiddle with adjusting the intonation of my frets. My luthier does that. Those things that you mentioned doing to a guitar are rather ordinary adjustments that any guitarist would make, fixing the intonation of a guitar gone bad is a real esoteric skill.[/b][/quote]Actually, it's not esoteric. It's one of the things I learned how to do early on, when I started playing guitar. And it's helped me out on numerous occasions working with bands who can't afford to ahve all their guitars set-up a day before a session. or even during a session. So I have, on numerous occasions, adjusted the intonation during a recording session. It's like drummers who don't know how to tune their drums.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Not answering the question, but I would own both if not for the Mac hardware being expensive and proprietary. OS X finally lets the user see what is going on behind the GUI which was my other major complaint, but you still can't go to a computer store and replace a mac motherboard.

[quote] I remember a friend of mine (a Windows/PC guru) who in 1996 was saying that the PC (Windows) was at a point where it could be depended on to do reliable digital audio and that Apple would be out of business in a year. Hell I was doing reliable digital audio on my Mac in 1993 and Apple is still in business!!!! Michael Oster [url=http://www.F7sound.com]F7 Sound and Vision[/url] [/QB][/quote]He was almost right though. Remember when Apple's stock was in the dumper? The internet stock boom, Steve Jobs, and the iMac saved them. Not to mention a little later on Microsoft gave them a bunch of money to help out. I'm glad they are still in business, but I'm still not buying a Mac unless I win the lottery and have money to burn. I can afford a Mac, but I can get more value out of a PC.

Henchman, I think you may have hit on something. Since the advent of home recording, musicians who can get a signal in and out of a recorder are now self titled 'engineers', without the problemsolving and session lubrication that comes with the title. So now these new 'engineers' are telling real engineers the dumbed down requirements and definition of a pro and what is important. If playing is paramount to them then shutup and play, and hire someone who can stop trouble before it starts, compensate for system inadaquacies, and can outmix you anyday (IE a pro engineer).

Hi, My name is Sly. I use a Mac. My [b]main, music machine[/b] is a G3/266. I still run DP 2.7, I can run 24 tracks of audio with plugs. I must be lucky. My system does not crash, till I add some new software and it creates a conflict. I usually use a machine for 6 to 7 years before I upgrade. I have never owned a PC. I am very happy. Peace out, Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Henchman, Well I stand corrected. If you mean setting the intonation of your guitar by making a bridge adjustment so that your strings are the correct length, you are right. It's not an esoteric skill. I thought you meant by setting the intonation, adjustments to the frets set in the neck itself. I've done that myself on occassion, from reading this thread, perhaps I should do it more often. Although, I'm reluctant/won't mess with the bridge on my acoustic guitars. I also do bring my guitars to a technician who does seem to know how to tweak them better than I do. I tune my own drums, although I don't play drums. Now henchman I can understand that if your PC goes down and you can fix it yourself that is important. I have my own studio for my own projects. Recording is mostly for my own benefit and the benefit of my collaborators. I don't want to be in the recording studio business. The motivation for putting together my own studio was the frustation of the shitty recordings professional engineers were making at professional studios that I was paying professional rates for. I suspect that this is the motivation for many people building project studios. So maybe I don't suffer the same problems PC users have, becuase I have never had a problem that I needed someone else to fix. Never. The only hardware problem I've had with 4 Macs were two hard drives failing, which I fixed myself. No Big Deal! I've had a CD drive break on my daughters laptop PC. I sent that to the shop. So it seems to me that if you are going to use a PC, knowing how to build it is a real plus from what you're telling me. If you use a Mac, from my personal experience, you won't need to know how to build it to maintain it. And I'm a great believer in DIY projects. I built my own sound room and researched what I needed to know after getting contradictory information from professional architects, professional publications and professional carpenters. I will never build another sound room with my own hands again (I hope). I wil definitely pay someone else to do it, though I know exactly what needs to be done and how to execute its building. From my experience, the routine skills of 'engineering' like gain staging and routing signals requires no special education. A little research, a good book or two and some experimentation is all one needs. However, hearing where mics sound best, proper use of EQ and compression, proper implementation of DSP and other effects, are sensibilities and sensitivities you either have or not. If a person told me they could mix and record better because they knew how how to read a schematic, trouble shoot a circuit, or build a computer, I would think that person to be very confused.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

Just one more thing. Microsoft gave large amounts of money to Apple (rumored to be a billion) in an out of court settlement regarding patent infringement allegations. Also, part of the deal was that Microsoft buy $150 million in non voting stock which they have since sold at a profit. And they promised to develop Office for the Mac for 5 years. It wasn't like Microsoft bailed out Apple as much as they avoided going to trial for patent infringement during their anti-trust trial. The above news is commonplace knowledge which I got from reading the Boston Globe so administrator (Craig ?) please don't censor this post because it really is not controversial.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

ARGGH. Will you guys give it a rest already? I REALLY don't understand anyone's need to prove that either a PC or a Mac is "better". They're just computers fercryinoutloud. And both certainly have their good points and their sucky points. Or, as Dennis Ritchie (inventor of the C programming language) once said, "UNIX is the worst operating system in the world - except for everything else!" :D As for the contention that engineers should know how to build and tweak and fix their own computers, well, that's a personal preference too. Certainly, if you run a commercial outfit you'd better either know how to do this stuff yourself or be able to afford a full time maintenance guru. If you're recording your own stuff at home, it certainly HELPS to know how to build and fix computers, but has little to do with how good the recordings are going to end up sounding. Some people prefer something simple to use while others like to have fun messing with computers. Personally, while I can put together a computer, program one, etc., I'd really rather not bother with computers at all for audio. That's why I got an all-in-one box (the Yamaha AW4416) for my home studio. I don't want to be bothered with tweaking a computer when I'm in the midst of writing a song or trying to nail that killer guitar track. The Yamaha has an interface that's familiar to me as an old school engineer and I like that. Does this make me a wuss? If it does, whatever. Life's too short to beat myself up over not wanting to spend hours tweaking computers. So I'm using something more appropriate to my needs. I think it's fair to make comparisons between Mac's and PC's in terms of their functionality and what you have or haven't done with each, but come on, each one has an appropriate use for something or somebody!

<> I delete about 0.04% of the posts, controversy is rarely a problem here. As to this being the dumbest thread of the year, it's at least in contention for one of the top 10. Point is, you can make incredible music on either machine. If you can't make incredible music, you need to study music, not computers. The Amiga blew both of them out of the water at one time, anyway...you can see all the good that did them!

<> I'm such a geek. The way I figured it, there are almost 100,000 posts, and I estimate I've deleted between 30 and 50 posts (I'm counting only those that weren't deleted at someone's request). So that's how I came up with the "about 0.04%" figure. I know, I know..."get a life."

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]I'd really rather not bother with computers at all for audio. That's why I got an all-in-one box (the Yamaha AW4416) for my home studio.[/b][/quote]Sorry ti disappoint ya, and I'm not trying to start a new (blank) vs (blank) debate but, the AW is still a computer :p And we all know what species it is. :D Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Archived