Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Bootcamp Ten Commandments

Bottomgottem

I do not know how legitimate this may be as a quote, but it does contain a lot of wisdom.

Sent to me by my drummer via e-mail.

A friend of mine just returned from "Bass Bootcamp" in Reading Penn. and had a wonderful time studying under several top named bassists, one of which was Michael Mannring. I just wanted to pass along to all my musician friends the "10 commandments" of the three day 8am to 10pm (plus jamming till 4am) workshop.

Come with an open mind and you will be filled, come with a closed mind and you will leave hungry.

Do not waste precious time trying to impress your instructors, they have seen it all.

Take 100% of the responsibility for learning.

There is a time to speak, a time to listen, a time to question, and a time to accept.

Submit to being transformed and you will be.

Neither reject nor seek criticism as a student, accept criticism as one accepts the daily weather. Neither reject nor seek compliments, accept them as an unexpected gift.

Don't be afraid of embarrassment before others, you are not that important.

Seek to learn tricks and you will be cleaver, seek to learn techniques and you will be skilled, seek to learn principles and you will be masterful.

If you must compete, compete with who you could be, if you must compare people, compare yourself with whom you can be, if you must criticize, criticize the critic in you.

At all times, in every way, create.

Gerald Veasley, March 2002

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

although I don't want ot be a cleaver...

and I think take 100% of the responisbility for your learning essentially says the teacher has NOTHING (0%) to do with learning.

While too often this is true, it shouldn't be a GOAL.

Sounds nice though, in a pedantic, pretentious kind of way.

Originally posted by wwittman:

and I think take 100% of the responisbility for your learning essentially says the teacher has NOTHING (0%) to do with learning.

I see your point. However, I read it as stating that a teacher is a resource to be drawn from and the student will only take away what he/she is willing to take. The "well" cannot force the "water" on you.
My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Originally posted by wwittman:

although I don't want ot be a cleaver...

The teacher oftens learns as much as the student through the teaching process. But the student has to take accountability for his own part in the process, or it simply doesn't happen. I once had a student once tell me she was waiting for a teacher to give her a reason to want to learn. I told her she had the wrong teacher and would probably never find the right one. If she didn't already want to learn, I couldn't make her want to. That much, the student has to work up on their own.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yes, I have had students walk in who impressed me with some of the things they could do.

They weren't trying to impress me, they just happened to be able to do something which I found impressive.

It didn't mean that they didn't need to learn anything. And if I had thought they didn't need to learn anything, I would have sent them on their merry way and not charged them for the lesson.

All of these "commandments" could be applied to life itself yes? Well, with the possible exception of the "cleaver" thing.

Now, lets talk about Quantum Mechanics . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Seems like the teacher should take 100% of responsibility for the 'teaching,' not the learning. The teacher done already lerned dat dere ting dere tryin to a-lern ya!

And if you need a teacher to give you a reason to learn I say to that person: quit. You obviously don't care, and if you don't care why waste time doing it? Go find something you care about, something someone doesn't have to kick you in the ass to do.

Bass Bootcamp,....

Hehehe I can see it now.

Student plays a piece while the instructor watches/listenes. Student hits a wrong note.

"YOU CALL THAT PLAYING WHERE YOUR FROM MAGGOT?"

"huh?"

"AND ARE YOU ARE DEAF TOO? YOU ARE THE MOST WORTHLESS PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A BASS PLAYER i HAVE EVER SEEN. YOU DO NOT BELONG IN MY BAND. DO YOU WANT TO CALL YOUR MOMMY TO GET YOUR SORRY EXCUSE OF A HIDE?"

"no"

"WHAT WAS THAT?"

"SIR. NO SIR!"

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20 MAGGOT!"

Originally posted by Ross Brown:

My Dad's philosphy: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear".

It is so true.

Brilliant.

And I agree; the bass bootcamp rules apply to every learning situation that exists.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

It's the teacher's responsibility to teach, and the student's responsibility to learn. The teacher can't learn for you...only the student can do that. Maybe this is just semantics, but that's my opinion (and I'm not a teacher).

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Whacked:

Bass Bootcamp,....

Hehehe I can see it now.

Student plays a piece while the instructor watches/listenes. Student hits a wrong note.

"YOU CALL THAT PLAYING WHERE YOUR FROM MAGGOT?"

"huh?"

"AND ARE YOU ARE DEAF TOO? YOU ARE THE MOST WORTHLESS PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A BASS PLAYER i HAVE EVER SEEN. YOU DO NOT BELONG IN MY BAND. DO YOU WANT TO CALL YOUR MOMMY TO GET YOUR SORRY EXCUSE OF A HIDE?"

"no"

"WHAT WAS THAT?"

"SIR. NO SIR!"

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20 MAGGOT!"

No! Really! Stop! I think I pulled something laughing at that one!

:D

Love God...Love People!

Archived