Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feeling a little blue...

Luke73

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooh, that's nice, it looks like the same finish as my Warwick but mine has the gold hardware - not sure which I prefer now.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Originally posted by Phil W:

Enjoy, Luke 73. Be careful: fretless is addictive!

Indeed!

Actually, I'm trying to decide what strings to put on it at the moment. They Ship with Warwick Red label stainless rounds, which I'm not super wrapped with...

I have DR-HiBeams on the fretted Corvette, which I love.

I'm not adverse to using rounds on it...when the fingerboard eventually gets eaten up, I'll have it leveled.

I wonder...what do you other fretless players like? I was thinking something maybe a little warmer than the HiBeams...maybe some DR Sunbeams?

I have a friend who uses black nylon strings on his fretless but he likes to use it specifically for dub.

Whatever you choose, enjoy though, it's a real beauty.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Oh wow, nice bass Luke; congrats! I've been wanting a fretless for a while because a) there are a few songs our band does where I think it would sound great and b) I just love 'em. Have you played other types, or just a Warwick? Would you recommend a Warwick over another brand? Just asking for some advice from a fellow player! Thanks!

And again...DAMN that's a nice lookin' bass!

I guess this is a good time to ask why people refer to basses as "fish"?

Also, what is "gassing"?

By the way Luke, if it's active you'll run that battery out leaving it plugged in! :)

Originally posted by Rowbee:

Also, what is "gassing"?

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Something many of us suffer from). Gassing means desiring greatly.

As for "fish"... come on.

I'll give you a hint:

http://floridafisheries.com/images/div-pic/strip-41.jpg

Push the button Frank.

Because this is a bass:

http://www.bigfishcharters.com/images/Striped%20Bass-1.jpg

Also, what is "gassing"?

G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

"For instance" is not proof.

I wonder who around here might be jealous of a blue fretless.

My fretless currently has Thomastik Jazz flats on it. I love them.

Other strings I have liked on a fretless bass have been GHS Brite Flats and D'Addario Chromes.

If you want to sound like Jaco, you need round wound strings which will eventually mean you will need some maintenance on the fingerboard.

Thanks folks - that's one big fish right there, wouldn't fancy having that thing strapped over my shoulder for an 1½ hour set! Plus, the smell would put the other band members off. :)

Originally posted by jeremy c:

If you want to sound like Jaco, you need round wound strings which will eventually mean you will need some maintenance on the fingerboard.

No disrespect intended, but I don't want to sound like Jaco...I want to sound like me!

:thu:

I think I'll start with some Nickel rounds, and go from there. Perhaps even the GHS Pressure wounds might be good - I think I'll order some of them in.

;)

Originally posted by Athanacropolis:

Oh wow, nice bass Luke; congrats! I've been wanting a fretless for a while because a) there are a few songs our band does where I think it would sound great and b) I just love 'em. Have you played other types, or just a Warwick? Would you recommend a Warwick over another brand? Just asking for some advice from a fellow player! Thanks!

And again...DAMN that's a nice lookin' bass!

Hi there Athanacropolis ;)

I owned a Yamaha BB404F fretless a while ago, and I must say it was very very nice, but I hardly played it and didn't really give fretless a chance before I sold it to make some quick cash (to go towards my Ashdown rig when my band started gigging). ;)

This is my second voyage into the fretless world, and this time I'm loving it.

I haven't played many fretless basses (actually, only my BB404, and this Corvette). I can enthusiastically recommend either. Both the Yamaha and this one are lovely.

The Yamaha had fretlines, whereas this one does not.

Even as a beginning fretless player, I'm finding myself quite comfortable without fret lines, and in fact prefer the blank fingerboard. The neck does have side dot markers.

Nice fish Luke, very nice!

AS for srings for fretless, I'm still looking around too. I've been interested in Jeremy's suggestions here, and I think g. likes the TI's too IIRC.

Congrats on getting the new bass, I know you worked hard for it.

Hope you don't mind if I wave at your new baby!

:wave:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I like the idea of the Thomastik Jazz flats very much actually, and I'm very tempted to give them a try.

The only thing that concerns me is that their gauge is 43 56 70 100, as opposed to the 45 65 85 105 set I have now.

I'm concerned about nut fit, and whether I'd need to have a new nut cut to accomodate them?

Any Thomastik Jazz flats users have any ideas on that one?

Thanks everybody for the responses ;)

I picked up a 44-106 set of GHS Pressure wounds :thu:

Very nice!

Not as bright as a round, but not as thumpy as a flat.

A great compromise!

Very slick feel on the fingers, and noise is reduced accordingly.

Tension's a bit higher than the Warwick Red Label rounds.

Lots of Mwah :D

Nice work GHS.

I'm still intrigued by the Thomastik Jazz Flats. Maybe a I do need a second fretless to put them on after all!

:eek:

Archived