Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sort of OT: Jazz Discussion Sites

-Will-

Does anyone know of a good jazz discussion site? Trying to get into jazz and was just wanting to see what jazz musicians (not just bassists) actually talk about musically. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Will, can't think of one - I have occasionally searched (in vain). They have some great jazz discussions on the keyboard forum, though.

Here

ijazz (impulse records) has a discussion forum www.ijazz.org but I've never used it.

Let me know how you get on.

Hey, it might be worth posting this request on the keyboard forum too!

That's a sweet tune, Jeremy! :cool:

The Rhythm Society Swing Orchestra, fronted by Paul King, recorded that a few years back. ( Sample on this page. If you get the "WDIV Go4 It!" video to work you get to see glimpses of my wife and I dancing.) They released it on a 2-track CD, kind of like an old 45 (except no flipping necessary). The "B" side was "South of the Border".

I also have a Louis Prima disc or two. I think it's a compilation with, of course, "Sing Sing Sing". My wife also picked up some Keeley Smith and Sam Butera. We visited New Orleans in '99 and heard that Sam lived nearby, owned a club and sometimes played out but didn't get a chance to see or hear him. Anybody know if he's still in town?

Originally posted by Will-Bass:

Does anyone know of a good jazz discussion site? Trying to get into jazz and was just wanting to see what jazz musicians (not just bassists) actually talk about musically. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try this listserv:

http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=JAZZ-L&H=LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

I have not been on it in a while, but it was populated by some die-hards that regularly attended concerts, bought up everthing in sight and seemd to have some well-informed opinions (with the usual list BS thrown in)

Archived