Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT -- march madness.

rumpelstiltskin.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just turned in my brackets for my work pool. I don't feel good about any of my picks this year. I hate my bracket and the games haven't even started yet!

Robb, I have your Michigan State Spartans going to the elite 8 so you should be happy about that. I just can't pick against Izzo in the tourney.

Let the Madness begin!

that's where i have them. a lot of people do. it's a very nice bracket for that. i also think we can beat connecticut, but that's not where i put my money, so to speak.

i also had to pick villanova to beat BC. why? partly because i think the matchup is a push, and partly because i have ohio state going to the elite eight. that's something of a risk, but they're that good, and they're also good enough to beat BC if they played in the elite eight. and i don't want to be the guy who picked ohio state into the final four if they don't make it.

conservative, true, but after finishing 28th (i.e. only 27 better brackets than mine) in yahoo last year, i can't get risky and have it be a fluke (which it was).

in parting, go state! also, i miss atlanta.

robb.

Between OU and Syracuse, I am keeping an eye on it today.

OU = I live in Oklahoma, I have to cheer for someone and OSU didn't make it.

Orange = Syracuse just awarded my brother his second Masters and will probably keep him around for a PhD.

- Matt W.

I love basketball.

This year I can't play because I tore a ligament in my foot in October and I still am not ready to jump and run backwards.

The NCAA tournament is a great event and I've been looking forward to it for months.

I will be watching as many games as humanly possible.

On Monday, March 27 I will be playing at the Golden State Warriors/Washington Wizards game.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

On Monday, March 27 I will be playing at the Golden State Warriors/Washington Wizards game.

Cool! Who are you playing with? Is it before the game, at halftime, or after?

BTW we already have an upset brewing....UW-Milwaukee is beating Oklahoma.

Originally posted by McDuff:

BTW we already have an upset brewing....UW-Milwaukee is beating Oklahoma.

Two replies:

1) Thank goodness! Now all my co-workers will turn off their frikkin TVs and we can get our jobs done.

2) Root for backup teams:

Syracuse (see previous post)

ORU is still representin' Oklahoma.

As an Iowan by birth, I have some black and gold blood (very little of it) and a moral obligation to hope for the best.

Then there's Northern Iowa - my second choice university. I've toured their theater, loitered on their campus and used the restroom in the UNIdome.

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

Between OU and Syracuse, I am keeping an eye on it today.

OU = I live in Oklahoma, I have to cheer for someone and OSU didn't make it.

Orange = Syracuse just awarded my brother his second Masters and will probably keep him around for a PhD.

bummer. i have learned never to cheer for oklahoma in the tournament. i picked UWM to beat them. i also have syracuse falling to A&M. the aggies are just a better team. sorry, man.

i am already 2-0. i am sweating the BC thing. this makes me very glad i didn't pick them beat villanova. besides, if they beat villanova, ohio state would hand them an L. i'm sure the experts who picked BC are feeling foolish right now.

of course, BC could pull this game out and still go to the finals, as florida did in 2000. i wouldn't bet on that, though.

robb.

I've never been able to get into college sports but I'm not lookin forward to the Final Four. The RCA Dome where its at is about a 20 minute walk from my College and driving there is going to be no fun.
"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

i picked the shockers to win in round 1. and with how tennessee looked yesterday, there's a good chance they'll prove me wrong in round 2.

still, i feel pretty good today. i went 14-2 yesterday. i only missed montana and alabama. and i pulled a john kerry on alabama -- i picked them before i picked against them.

robb.

4 days of idiot athletes who can't figure out how to spell cat, but can learn a playbook back and forth. Great. Golf anyone??
I seek knowledge from the winds of destiny , Wisdom from the seas of time, and honor from within myself. Lost in a land where bass and time collide.

My guys didn't make it past the 1st round, but at least they got an invite to the big dance. Another feather in Izzo's cap, regardless of the disappointing effort of the players once there.

At least the women's team is still in their tournament. Maybe there will be a Final Four finish for the school afterall, just not the way many had hoped?

OT: At least the guys won the CCHA tournament and got an invite to college hockey's big show, with a decent chance of making the Frozen Four. :thu:

Originally posted by Musiclogic:

4 days of idiot athletes who can't figure out how to spell cat, but can learn a playbook back and forth. Great. Golf anyone??

i used to live near egatrop, and i worked on westnedge.

i have to disagree with you. for example, there's davidson, who challenged ohio state for most of the first round game. their average SAT scores for the team are something like 1360, which is higher than the university's general average. i got a 1310.

even at the big schools like michigan state, there are smart, well-spoken guys like maurice ager. paul davis isn't the smartest guy in the world, but not everyone has to be.

i mean, john daly hasn't been nominated for the nobel prize in science has he?

-----

my bracket has taken a plunge since the first day. drastically. i now only have 5 of my elite eight left, which is poor. at least all my final four are in. that's worth a lot. we'll see how it turns out, but i'm not as optimistic as i was last year.

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

i mean, john daly hasn't been nominated for the nobel prize in science has he?

Funny you should use John Daly as an example. Generally I pay no attention to golf, but a friend recommended Who\'s Your Caddy? as a good read. It is a good read, if a bit offensive in some chapters; particularly the chapter about John Daly.

There are those who are well educated and choose to play basektball, and those who may be well educated but choose to play golf and act like they live in a high school locker-room.

- Matt W.

Well, I don't know what the average intelligence for golf players is, but I think you'd still have a harder time getting into MIT than getting on the greens.

I'm not a golfer -- only tried once -- so watching golf on TV is like watching paint dry to me. I've gone to a couple of the big tournaments that came to town in past years. Getting a little fresh air on well manicured grass is enjoyable, but the heat kept me mostly in the hospitality tents.

Socializing in the tents (with the help of a little friend of mine I like to call "alcohol" ;) ) was more fun than squinting through binoculars to try to get a glimpse of someone famous (who I really didn't know in the first place). The highlight in this regard, for me, was watching Chi Chi Rodriguez do his trademark swordplay. (I would have had a better view by watching TV.)

I know people that loathe watching baseball at any level. As a former T-ball right fielder, I agree you can find more interesting things to watch than the game at hand. ;)

The attraction of the NCAA basketball tournament, to me, is more about seeing your picks advance on your bracket. This is, undoubtedly, much more enjoyable when your favorite team wins their 2nd national championship, a feat only a handful of teams has ever managed. ;) Since I can't watch all the games I usually scramble to catch the scores as soon as they're available. (This year I didn't make any picks and my team's out, so I'm kind of ho-hum about it.)

Anyway, this is my opinion. I respect anybody who may feel otherwise.

Originally posted by robb.:

my bracket has taken a plunge since the first day. drastically. i now only have 5 of my elite eight left, which is poor. at least all my final four are in. that's worth a lot. we'll see how it turns out, but i'm not as optimistic as i was last year.

I think last year I only had one pick left in the Final Four. Needless to say, I finished at the bottom of the, ahem, little competition I was in with a group of others. ;)

thanks for the contribution.

last year i finished 28th nationally at yahoo. i had seven of of the elite 8 and everything correct from the final 4 through to the champ. i think my first round was kind of lackluster, though.

the big ten did me in this year. i don't know why they all decided to stop making shots. i mean, msu averaged something like 50% from the field, and we were 40% or less against george mason.

robb.

GO BIG EAST....

UCONN HUSKIES ALL THE WAY....

Ok, I'm done....

1974 Fender Jazz

2003 Musicman StingRay

2006 Gibson LP Studio VM

Carvin DCM1000 amp

GK 410 SBX Cab

SansampPBDDI

Ampeg B100R

This is about the only time I watch basketball. Now if we could get the NCAA to hold a football tournament at the end of the season........... :love:

It would just need a catchy nickname. December Decadence, maybe? :rolleyes:

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Archived