Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tour van advice?

hi all - it's time to buy a tour van. i am totally inexperienced in regards to vans. we're a 4 piece, w/a medium amount of gear, headed on full u.s. tours. what'd be your recommendations? thx, rafter

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, if i was in your shoes, i'd do a little research on the web...like epinions.com or something of the sort... are you looking toward the scooby-doo 'mystery machine' thang (equipped with strobe light and quadraphonic sound) or are you prepared to fork over the cash for one of them fancy van conversions? (equipped with dvd player, tv and fridge) what's your price range??....(and then tere's the part where i say i know absolutely nothing about vans, other than it must run and have a working stereo in it)....anyone else?? best of luck with your search.
0096 2251 2110 8105

ah, sorry - no price range mentioned... i'd say, i'd be willing to go up to 15K or so? course for a guy like me, all i really KNOW that it needs is a good stereo and not to smell funny. but really, it needs to survive all the rigors of the road and fit a bunch of people and stuff comfortably...

I've had good results with Dodge vans. I've had three over the years. The current model is the Ram Van Passenger Wagon. There are three models-1500,2500, and 2500 Maxiwagon. The maxiwagon is the extended body version and it's great for large capacity but it can be a bit like driving an ocean liner at times. The standard 2500 is nice and it holds up to 12 passengers or you can take some seats out and use the space for equipment. The 1500 has a lighter suspension and I would recommend the 2500 for load handling capacity. Have a nice tour!

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I hope to end up with something so generically white that nobody has any curiousity as to what is inside. Those white box vans and step vans can be almost invisible.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I hope to end up with something so generically white that nobody has any curiousity as to what is inside. Those white box vans and step vans can be almost invisible. Then whip out the gaudy magnetic lettering as you approach the gig!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

The bass player in my band bought a new Chevy Deisel van about 5 years ago. The thing is indestructable. We've put nearly 100k miles on it without a single breakdown, and it is now considered to be "broken in". A deisel engine will routinely give you 300k miles or more in this type of vehicle. I think he paid a little over $20k for it new, but a used one could probably be found in your price range. Also, air conditioning is a must, and I agree with Ted about going with white if you can. :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Ted Nightshade: [b]Then whip out the gaudy magnetic lettering as you approach the gig![/b][/quote]I'd pass on this option though... :eek: ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Khan's advice about the Chev Diesel is sage, as always. I can vouch for the DuraMax diesel. The one in my 94 pickup is over 180K miles & runs like a dream. The new 6.6 is better. Ford's less costly on the initial buy but In my experience will cost more in maintenance. Dodge, with the Cummins should be ok too. The only thing with the GM, there has been an injector pump problem. With most diesels that's the biggest (small) repair cost. (EXPENSIVE!)If you are very religious about getting good, clean fuel & changing the fuel filters regularly you should be fine. You should see a 15mpg or better average. I'm about 17mpg. One other thing to consider is the layout. You can get a van with seating for 4 to 6 & still have the cargo room but you'll have to look at is the glass layout. Most cargo vans don't have rear side windows so anyone riding in the back will get clostrophobic. You can get some hibreds that will be solid on one side & have windows on the side door. What you might look at is a cargo van & get custom windows installed at the rear passenger seats & that will leave the cargo area hidden. Luck with the tour....

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

i've always had good luck with the good old ford econoline. there are better built vans but it's not bad. one thing i must say is no matter where you are you will be able to get parts for it. breaking down in the middle of nevada with the closest town 30 miles away is a drag. they had parts! aslo no windows except in front, keeps your gear safe.

i've been checking out dodges... seems like if we get a 2500 maxivan cargo van, it's huge on the inside, nondescript on the outside, which is good. :thu: but then we'd have to do lots of interior work to make it hospitable. i've seen some van conversions around tho that look ENTICING! the hitop conversion is cool - raising the roof a bit makes it much homier, si? would you guys buy from a dealer or from the classifieds/auto trader? also - meriphew - your link doesn't work. what you sayin? thx all rafter

I've never seen one in the flesh, but my best friend checked out the Roadtrek and raved on it. They're pretty expensive new, but the concept is great. You'd probably have to get a trailer for the PA and back line amps. They have a website (I think roadtrek.com) that explains the whole process they use, and it makes a lot of sense. I had a '74 Econoline (last year of the snubnose) that was a plain Jane honey. Mileage in the high teens fully loaded pulling a trailer. The highway patrol picked me up one time because the windows were too reflective. Yeah, right.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

hi all posters and van-voyeurs - i think the hunt might be over, barring a forum-ordered injunction. we found a '92 chevy g20 hi-top conversion van, in primo shape, with 65K miles on it - it's a hi-top conversion, and we'll be able to modify it so it goes like this = driver/front passenger seats bench seat that folds down into a bed loft over the back gear compartment it has a vcr/teevee/nintendo, front and rear AC, front and rear stereos w/headphone jacks by every seat, cruise control, reading lights, unspoiled carpets, and the MOST AMAZING MOOD LIGHTS EVER. it actually has a switch called "mood lights". :cry: but... you can't have a totally pimped out weekend vacation in the desert with any of that stuff, can you? you can't ride around the Us of A playing quirky muzik to people without a styling ride... so please tell me if i'm making sense, or give me a good smack back into reality. thanks! rafter

Archived