Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

grounding problem??

chelapa

Hai, i'm new here....str8 to d point... i have a J and D 6 string bass(JD-RM6) and its active... i'm having a problem with one of the pots which is the treble(i ting so...) where, every time i try to increase it i would hear a buzz, and it gets louder if i increase it more ... i'm not good with active electronics but could it be a grounding problem or is it a faulty pot.So....if theres anybody who can help me i'll be waiting. BTW, since i can't post a pic of my bass,here is the web of the manufacturer http://www.jandd-guitars.com/jd-rm6.htm

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you checked the wire under the bridge? On my old bss increasing the treble increased buzz even with proper grounding. You may just have a buzzy bass or amp. how does it sound with the humbucker soloed?

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Do you have single coil pups?

Does it buzz with both pups on together?

Do you have a TV in the same room?

Do you have a Computer in the same room?

Do you have a dimmer switch in the same room?

Do you have a neon strip/tube light in the same room?

If you have any of those, make sure they are all switched off, then consider the wiring if it still buzzes.

Active guitars/basses are often noisier with the treble turned full up.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

thanny XIII :- the humbucker are ok only if i don't turn up the treble pot(the pot with the problem) and i don't think its the amp coz i've tried it before i bought it.

G.Thomas O'Byrne :- thanks for the "checklist".. i'll try it.....but what you guys trying to say is that all/most active bass/guitar tend to be noisy?....what makes it does that? and is there "remedy" to cure this?

i hope you guys don't mind explaining it to me....cheers

p/s : i'm learning to be a luthier...

It's not usually that noisy. Treble does increase buzz though. Have you tried cleaning the pots and knobs? Do everything G. thomas said then get some pot cleaning spray at radio shack. That should do it. If it doesn't then it is the wiring.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Originally posted by chelapa:

...but what you guys trying to say is that all/most active bass/guitar tend to be noisy?

Most, especially the ones with Asian-built electronics over the past forty years; I can also site a certain US company whose preamps are noisy, but I need to "B" careful to avoid libel.

...what makes it does that?

low-grade components, bad engineering designs, cold or loose solder joints, the use of unshielded (non-torodial design) transformers in close proximity to other circuits on the board, improper shielding of the control cavity, single-coil pickups without proper grounding/potting, any pickup whose coils aren't properly tight. I may have missed a few here.

and is there "remedy" to cure this?

(a) upgrade your active pickups and/or preamp, or

(b) go with a passive setup and use an outboard preamp with better components.

:wave:

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

It's not usually that noisy. Treble does increase buzz though. Have you tried cleaning the pots and knobs? Do everything G. thomas said then get some pot cleaning spray at radio shack. That should do it. If it doesn't then it is the wiring.

For cleaning spray from Radio Shack, I really suggest getting the Caig "ProGold" and "Deoxit"!!

The regular "TV Tuner cleaner" from Radio Shack is really messy.

Archived