Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Truss rod sanity check

Gruuve

The action on my G&L L-2500 Tribute is a little higher than I'd like. I've got the bridge saddles as low as I can get them without too much fret buzz, and that's still not quite low enough. If I lower the saddles any more, the strings start to buzz above the 12th fret.

I've read the manual, but it doesn't really have any "if this, do this" sections. I believe the buzz above the 12th fret indicates a little too much bow in the neck. I should tighten the truss rod maybe a 1/4 turn, then lower the bridge saddles some more. Sound right?

TIA,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done. I loosened the strings, gave it an 1/8 turn, then another 1/8 turn. Retuned, checked and set the intonation. Ended doing it a second time, so pretty much almost a half turn of the truss rod (the G&L L-2500 have quite a thick neck). It was much closer when I stopped, but decided to let it sit for a day or so and see if it moves any.

I did discover that I can't quite get the B-string intonation perfect. It's about 5 cents sharp, but there's no room to move the saddle any further away. Hmmmm...if the neck straightens a little more while I wait that may help.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

One thing you can do, if you're inclined, is treat yourself to a professional set-up.

I did my own for years, but could never quite get my basses the way I want them.

I found a really good tech nearby, though, and just had him set up my five-string. Plays like budda now.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Done. I loosened the strings, gave it an 1/8 turn, then another 1/8 turn. Retuned, checked and set the intonation. Ended doing it a second time, so pretty much almost a half turn of the truss rod (the G&L L-2500 have quite a thick neck). It was much closer when I stopped, but decided to let it sit for a day or so and see if it moves any.

I did discover that I can't quite get the B-string intonation perfect. It's about 5 cents sharp, but there's no room to move the saddle any further away. Hmmmm...if the neck straightens a little more while I wait that may help.

Dave

To get the B intoned, make sure you have a good "witness" point, i.e. a good sharp bend over the saddle. It that doesn't help, it is much easier with tapered strings, think about that for your next set.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Thanks, Lug. Actually, I generally don't care for tapered strings...always seems like the tension is less with tapered strings, and I like higher tension (a la Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys).

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived