Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introduce Yourself

Rowbee

Hi all

Sorry it's taken so long to post this thread but I finally just wanted to formally introduce myself. I've been on the fringe here for a few months now, mostly just reading but occasionally posting.

My name is Rob, I play an Ernie Ball Musicman Sterling and a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman. I use a Euphonic Audio iAmp500 through two EA CxL 112L 12" speaker cabs. The only effects I use very occasionally are an Electro Harmonix Bassballs and a Boss ODB-3 Overdrive.

I'm 33 and I've been playing bass for around 8 years, but I started out as a drummer. Even though I was never a particularly spectacular drummer, I like to think it gave me a good rhythmic understanding which I have utilised to much better effect on bass. Although I toyed with the idea, I have no real desire to learn guitar, I would much rather commit myself to the instrument that gives me the most satisfaction.

My current gigs are a Funk\Soul band in Exeter, Devon called the Soul J's and a Funk band in Coventry, West Midlands called Jakamo. I have the gig of a lifetime coming up this month with the Soul J's as we are supporting the legendary Maceo Parker.

I have no real aspirations for greatness, I play because I love to play.

You guys have a great community here, it's enjoyable to be able to participate in mature, adult discussions.

This forum is truly educational.

Thanks

Rob

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob!

My name is Rod and like yourself, I mostly lurk and mine the vast golden knowledge that is here at this forum.

I'm 38 and have been playing for only 10 months. I only wish I had discovered the joy that learning and playing music brings 20 years ago. Well I did try a guitar when I was a teen but it was a total disaster. Perhaps because I'm a true lefty and I didn't know that lefty gear even existed at the time.

Gearwise, I have a genuine P-Bass Ho that I picked up for $80 on the bay. At first it was a tough challenge trying to get my finger's dexterity up to a decent level but it's getting better. Eventually, thanks to you guys I realized that the action was a mile high but when I tried to adjust the truss rod it seemed pretty determined not to move. So as not to take any chances (thanks again guys), I got a local luthier to look it over and he ended up shimming the neck and levelling the frets to get it in the ballpark. Fast forward a few months and I lowered the action down pretty low. (thanks again) Now it plays wonderfully. :)

I also have an Ibanez SDGR300DX lefty (strung BEAD) and enjoy it much as well. It hadn't needed any adjustments at first but about a month ago the neck was getting a noticeable bow and the action had crept up accordingly. It was now an easy adjustment to handle (thanks again).

For amps I'm using Yorkville combos (XM50 and a BM400) and for effects I have a Beringer Bass V-Amp. I had no knowledge of Beringer's controversial nature here at the time I bought it. I'm happy with them all.

I'm currently gigless and bandless but that's ok as I don't think I'm skilled enough to be in a band yet. However, I'm getting there though (practice, practice, practice...) and I think that eventually that will change. :)

Lately I've been reading a lot more about music theory and it's slowly seeping in I think. It's kind of funny. Just 10 months ago I just wanted to play AC/DC tunes and now I'm exploring Blues and R&B and am getting a great desire to be able to come up with my own basslines.

Yes indeed, this forum is a jewel. The info here is priceless (and occasionally side-splitting :D ). The maturity level here is far greater than on any other forum that I've been on (none of them were music though).

This is a great community here. Thanks for the belated musical education that I'm now getting.

Cheers

Rod (aka Newf) :thu:

Hey y'all.

It would be a shame for us to confuse everybody with a new introduce yourself.

I'm going to encourage these posters to copy their posts and repost them in the other "Introduce Yourself" thread, linked above in Forceman's post.

I'll close this one. If y'all would remake these posts, I could delete this copy entirely.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived