Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power conditioner or Line suppresor?

J.Coop Coyote

Hey there. I don't mean to keep whining about my problems. Just wondering what people think. As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm having some ground noise problems in several basses. Checking or changing the electronics is probably the best solution, but since it's in all my non-humbucking basses I'm looking for an easy fix. Do you think an ac power conditioner like the Furman M-8 or a line noise suppressor like the Boss NS-2 would reduce or eliminate the ground hum?, Thanks
J.Coop Coyote

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question J.Coop.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to give you an answer. There should be others here, though, who can.

You could try to search for past threads about power conditioners and noise suppressors. However, I'm not sure whether past threads on this forum about the former really address your question and I'm not sure how often we've actually discussed noise suppressors in the past.

Good luck.

Peace.

--s-uu

PS: I make it down to Wash DC on business for a day or so every couple of months. If I ever had the time to hit a music shop, where's the best place to go to check out bass gear?

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Hey Coop -

I don't believe a surge suppressor is going to do you a lot of good but, if you have an AC hum from dirty power a conditioner should help (if not fix) the problem.

Take a look at PowerPro products as an alternative to the rediculously overpriced Furman.

Good Luck

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Thanks folks, no I'm not near a computer when playing. I wouldn't care if it was just at home. At a gig last night I cliped on a wire from the bridge to contact my skin (exact location to be left to your imagination) to eliminate the hum. I read several user reviews saying power conditioners and noise supressors filter and eliminate noise and hum. I'll probably try a power conditioner first since it's least likely to adversly affect the sound.

Sweet Willie, the biggest and best music store in our area is Chuck Levins Washington Music Center in Wheaton, Maryland. They have a web site but I'm not sure of the address. There are also a few vintage boutiques like Southworth Guitars in Bethesda, Maryland.

J.Coop Coyote

Archived