Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Completely OT: Food

_Sweet Willie_

Ugh...I don't want to think about food right now. Just got back from Cheesecake Factory. The gf is graduating this month and a bunch of friends invited us to dinner and I almost ate myself to death.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh...I don't want to think about food right now. Just got back from Cheesecake Factory. The gf is graduating this month and a bunch of friends invited us to dinner and I almost ate myself to death.

Their taquitos should be considered a controlled substance. The first time I ate there, I had no idea of the portion distortion. I ordered an appetizer AND an entree. Makes me queasy just thinkin' about it.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• 3 months later...
My father in law wanted to set up gardening in my yard this year because his yard is in the most densely populated cities in the US, not that it has ever stopped him before. I said fine as long as he understood that the project was all his as I have a tendency to make plastic cacti whither with a single touch. The past couple of weeks he's been in the hospital so it's in my hands for now. The tomatoes are fairly low in ectoplasm but the damn bunnies take them once they show any sign of red so I have to pick them early. I wouldn't mind so much but they take the best ones, have a bite or two and leave the rest behind. Does anyone have any advice on what to do about the critters? The only thing I can think of is how good the bunny tasted on the LD get together at the Korean BBQ place a few years back. If I lived in a more rural setting, I'd seriously consider it.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Bunny fence. Also keeps out woodchucks. Make it tall enough and it'll keep the deer out also. You'll never be able to shoot them all.

There is also a product called "deer-off" and others like it. It smells like rotten eggs. Yum. It also has some hot sauce stuff in it. Check your local Agway.

Hope your father's recovery is smooth and quick. You could always bring him some tomatoes from the local farmer's market and tell a little white lie. It would probably do wonders for his psyche. Just buy the right kind of tomatoes. Don't buy beefsteaks if he planted roma's.....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

My wife and I both have black thumbs when it comes to growing anything. Her girlfriend convinced her to grow tomatoes. They went to a nursery and each bought identical plants, pots, soil, tomato food, etc. Well, our plant grew like hell, got 4 feet tall. Not one single tomato. Her girlfriend's plant is about 2 feet tall and is drooping with big tomatoes. I warned her, but she wouldn't listen. I could have bought some good bass string for that $35.00

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Big plants and no flowers...I'll ask my wife what's up with that. She knows everything.

But it's all about enjoying the process.

(Wow...$35 for dirt and stuff? We just put'em in the ground here.)

Wife needs to know: No flowers and no fruit, or all flowers but no fruit? What kinda tomato?

You're a tomato. That, and I'm living in Cucumber Overload. Yes, that is a good name for a band.

Death by cheesecake...there are worse ways to go...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Tomato update.

No blight and a hot hot summer has made our tomato production stellar. Tons of beefsteak, cherry (just pop'em in your mouth) and Roma's. It finally cooled off enough today to use the oven, so we took way too many roma's and roasted them, along with a crap load of home grown garlic. (Sorry, we bought the olive oil....) Froze most of it, the rest was dinner along with some fancy-pants bread, some Asiago cheese, grilled sausage, peppers and mushrooms, and a bottle of red zinfandel.

Homemade gourmet is much like gig money; it's just worth more.

So I wonder how J.C. thinks about this since his gig money is his regular money. Does that make your swim coach money worth as much as my gig money, or is it all the same for you since you've been on gig-scale for your whole life????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Peace

Paul K

we took way too many roma's and roasted them, along with a crap load of home grown garlic. (Sorry, we bought the olive oil....) Froze most of it, the rest was dinner along with some fancy-pants bread, some Asiago cheese, grilled sausage, peppers and mushrooms, and a bottle of red zinfandel.

Jeez, Paul, you're making me hungry...and I just ate. Sounds deelish!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do about the critters?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/Carteach02/marlin%2022/IMG_7978a-1.jpg

My guess is that after using that thing there would be a whole lot of bunny left.

"It shoots through schools." - Danny Vermin

The electric fence may be a bit much for my size garden, I think I'll work on something like this, it should work on bunnies.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed the peeing thing works. My wife's friend makes her husband and son pee into a jar for such purposes. Their daughter is exempt from such duties.

Keep in mind that a fence works even after it rains.

--------------------------------------

We did our yearly pesto marathon this morning. 'bout twenty baggies of pesto are in the freezer. We've still three or four left over from the 2009 season. Still tasty.

Alright, now they're just messin' with me....

This is no joke.

I closed up the pool and took care of all the related stuff this Saturday. This should be a two person job but, as usual, I did it myself. It didn't help that I only had about two hours sleep because my back was hurting too bad. Now, I could probably get away with doing some of the things a bit more half-assed but that doesn't help in the long run. So completely exhausted, soaked and a bottle of wine in my belly I sat down for a little bit outside. I fell asleep for about 20 minutes, which is totally uncharacteristic of me, only to awake at the sound of something scurrying about. On the ground, a few feet in front of me were five or six tomatoes as if placed there on purpose. Like I said before, I don't really mind loosing some to the animals, what bothers me is they take a bite or two and leave the rest behind.

what bothers me is they take a bite or two and leave the rest behind.

We feel your pain. My wife has a you-cut flower farm.

http://www.takeyourpickflowers.com/Home_Page.html

Some varieties like sunflowers are a pain in the ass to start: something bites the heads off of each and every seedling in the row, spits it out, and tries the next one.

Boy, you close up your pool pretty early for being downstate. I wait as long as I can 'cause that black winter cover is so ugly.

Closed the pool up early because I haven't really had a chance to use it much since the beginning of August so I was just paying for more chemicals and electricity. Water temp was an average of 65-69 (77-84 is perfect for me) for two weeks so I called it quits.

Water temp was an average of 65-69 (77-84 is perfect for me) for two weeks so I called it quits.

Do you have a solar cover? If not, get one for next year. They keep the chlorine in the pool, reduce evaporation. I have a clear one; pool water got all the way up to (gulp!) 92 this summer. Of course, it's cooler than that now; too cold for lounging but not long enough of a pool for laps.

• 2 months later...

My grandchildren (five), ages 15 - 22, called and wanted a "trditional" Thanksgiving at Granny's house, which we have not done in many years. Their parents have fallen into the "Casual pit", so we dug out the best china, silver, crystal, set a formal table and demanded that they use good manners, which they had mostly forgoten. They really loved it. They asked, why don't families dine like this anymore? It was a great day.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived