Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The city so nice they named it twice

_Sweet Willie_

New York, New York.

I grew up here. I'm a proud New Yorker. Somehow I'm even surviving being a fan of the Knickerbockers despite their woes.

I didn't live here for a long time and now I live in NJ and come into NYC almost every day.

My point? I don't always have one, but I'll take a stab at making one.

There is great live music in this city. Since returning to the area about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I feel like I have struck gold. I've seen Richard Bona. I've seen Wayne Krantz. I've seen Anthony Jackson. I've seen the NY Philharmonic. I've seen Mrs. Grundy, even...something that can't be done any more.I'm seeing the Charlie Hunter trio on Saturday night. I've seen Thelonious Sphere Monk. I've seen Dave Stryker. I've seen crazy, yet inspiring, avant-classical music (see recent thread about the concertino for 7-string electric bass). I've seen Will Lee w/ the Fab Faux. I will be seeing Oz Noy one of these Mondays and he'll be playing w/ either Will Lee or James Genus on bass and Keith Carlock or Anton Fig on drums. I even saw a great free outdoor concert (band unknown) in midtown one summer afternoon on a weekday during lunch hour.

I have also had the opportunity to hang out w/ a lot of very cool LDLers who live in and around NYC.

Anyway, props to my hometown. It's been nice to be back this way.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry but your NYC music experience is incomplete. you have not seen the cracker perform live. he has offered you free cover, he has offered you landmark venues, he has even offered weekends at strip clubs. sheesh.

seriously though, i was born here, grew up here, still live here. i've tried other places and while they're fun for a little while (and certainly cheaper), nothing is ever my hometown and capital of the world but NYC.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

sorry but your NYC music experience is incomplete. you have not seen the cracker perform live. he has offered you free cover, he has offered you landmark venues, he has even offered weekends at strip clubs. sheesh.

So true. And for this I feel bad. Fo' real yo.

While I realize that enjoying The Cracker bringing The Rock with Blue Winter is no longer to be, I remain thrilled by the possibility that I can still hold onto hope that I can see The Cracker bring the Rock Modern Electric stylee.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

My first visit to NYC had to be over a decade ago. My first impression? The garbage collectors were on strike and there was garbage piled high everywhere. I didn't know about the strike and I thought the place was a real stink hole! ;)

Just like being anywhere you're not familiar, it just wasn't comfortable. Coming from a place with horrible public transportation, I had to get used to what NYC had to offer; mostly the subway system. So, yeah, I was a despicable visitor with my subway map out all the time.

But, like I heard on the radio yesterday, I didn't stop to ask for directions to the Empire State building only to be told, "What do I look like? I f**kin' roadmap?" Ah, but there was a bit of New York character everywhere we went.

I've been back several times since then. (We have family out there.) NYC has grown on me a little more each time as I become more familiar with it. Hey, it's a big place, it takes more than a weekend to get to know it.

The biggest change, of course, was 9-11. I know someone who was there and lived to tell his story. But a lot of New Yorkers lightened up just a bit after that, and the place took on a more welcoming charm.

With about twice as many people as Detroit, and a steady stream of young people migrating there to "make it", along with immigrants just trying to get started, NYC is rife with people power. It was really cool to go to a club that was open till insanely late; something like 6am. We got there just before midnight and got to see one band wrap up their set and another take the stage. At 2am that scene was repeated. And the place was full of patrons the whole time. That setup wouldn't work so well in Detroit, where the majority of the work force is still first shift (7am-3pm) or 9-to-5ers.

And it really didn't matter what time it was in NYC. There were people everywhere all the time. It might be easier to find a seat on the subway at 3am rather than 3pm, but you'll almost never be someplace totally alone at any time.

More later ...

I grew up in Newburgh, about an hour up the Hudson from NYC, and my wife is from Fresh Meadows, Queens. We were married at the Water's Edge in L.I.C. (had our rehearsal dinner at Windows on the World:cry:). I'm fortunate that business brings me to NYC nearly every month (if only for a day or 2) and family stuff brings me there a few more times a year. I get the Sunday NY Times at home and read the online edition every day. So, I feel a strong connection to the Apple.

Rochester is a truly great place to live, raise a family, and make music. But for energy, excitement, and just about anything you could want out of life 24/7, nowhere on Earth matches NYC.

I also love NYC.

The best food, music, gear stores, public transportation, women, musicians and museums on earth. You can sit at a bars in NYC elbow to elbow with a roomful of your favorite musicians and watch your other favorite musicians do their thing. Everyone in the room will be completely geeking out and it 's completely cool. An abundance of great musicians and teachers. NYC is a city of endless opportunities. A bargain at any price.

It also has some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Well, Mark and tnb beat me to where I was heading: "anything you could want out of life 24/7" and "a city of endless opportunities".

I think in some ways the old adage of "if you can make it there [NYC], you can make it anywhere" no longer holds. For example, I think it's harder to be a hip hop musician in a rural community of 100 people where everybody hangs out at the one and only bar in town and listens to honky tonk. Even if you're from a smallish town of 10,000, there may only be two good drummers in town, and they're both unavailable for your project. There's more competition in NYC, sure, but I think the abundance of opportunities more than make up for that. I bet even the tuba player I heard playing in the subway in the middle of the night is a more successful musician than people struggling in other markets.

NYC is different from Nashville, from what I've heard, where everybody in that town is a singer/songwriter just trying to catch a break. (Similarly, Hollywood with actors/actresses.) L.A. is the other city with big music industry presence, but it's still not the same as NYC (again, from what I've heard).

So, yeah, I agree with the Doctor of Sweetness: NYC is a special place, especially for musicians. :thu:

I also agree with the Doctor of Sweetness:

NYC is a special place,

especially for musicians.

I am also a life long NY'er born and raised in Brooklyn NY and have had the very good fortune of working consistently both in the business world and as a weekend warrior playing in probably every dive in town..

but the people make it happen so its all great...

There is alot of great talent in the outer boroughs as well

Brooklyn, Queens Staten Island and The Bronx and also on Long Island and New Jersey..

I have gone off a few times ( Florida )but always returned...

As Willie mentioned..there is an abundance of greatness in town which we often take for granted..but its nice to know that on any night of the week we can go out to see something interesting..hook up with a few LD'ers...hop on the subway , grab a brew without breaking the bank...

www.danielprine.com

I'd like to visit NY,NY one day but you know what they say about us mountain boys:

You can take the boy out of the mountains, but can't take the mountains out of the boy...

;)

Northeast TN is a beautiful place!!!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

I'd like to visit NY,NY one day but you know what they say about us mountain boys:

You can take the boy out of the mountains, but can't take the mountains out of the boy...

;)

Yes we have mountains here too..

a few hours north but the Catskills and Adirondacks are beautiful..

www.danielprine.com

Willie, tomorrow I fly into your last home base Chicago. I'll be there until next Thursday when I fly to Las Vegas for the AFM Western Conference.

I'm in Chicago for the AFM's Officers' Education program as one of the presenters. We'll be at the Palmer House. I don't know if I'll have any free time but if I should any recommendations for "live music" near the area I'll be staying?

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I was born and raised on the west side midtown NYC. Lived there till I was 27. Moved to the midwest and have been here ever since. I get back to the city every so often and love it. NYC has an energy like nowhere else I've ever been. Miss the food, miss the music, miss the people!!
It's all about the bottom

Originally posted by Wally Malone:

...I don't know if I'll have any free time but if I should any recommendations for "live music" near the area I'll be staying?

Wally

Hey Wally,

You're pretty much in downtown Chicago ("the loop").

Jazz Showcase just north of downtown is solid.

Buddy Guy's Legends is just south of downtown, and I've heard great music there and eaten good food.

The Green Mill is more of a trek north from where you are, but should be easy by either the "el" (elevated subway -- red line) or cab. Great history there. Green Mill website here!

spreadluv

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

;)

Tenstrum, you looks sooooo much like rob deleo in your avatar.

That's definitely a compliment man, Rob;s got to be the best dressed/coolest looking bass player in rock :thu:

P.S. How tall are you?

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

I'm seeing the Charlie Hunter trio on Saturday night.

Correction: Past tense -- I saw the Charlie Hunter trio last night. :)

Why else to love NY? I spent time at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) yesterday. What an awesome collection it is that is housed there!

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Let's make a little list of "New Yorkers" who went to Berkeley High School.

You could put Charlie Hunter on your list.

And Joshua Redman.

And Michael Wolff.

Benny Green.

David Murray.

Dave Ellis.

Peter Apfelbaum.

Lenny Pickett.

A few various non-musicians:

Thornton Wilder.

Rebecca Romijn.

Billy Martin.

Joan Didion.

We had 'em all first.

What else can I say? New York is home. New York is a mecca of culture, entertainment, business and media. But it's also neighborhoods with charm, history and individuality. It's the place where people can go to realize their dreams.

I think some of us who have grown up in this great city's shadow take it for granted. But when I get away from here for a while, I'm always keenly aware of where I'm from and just how great a place it is. I may never get around to doing all of the tourist things to do in NYC (never been to the Statue of Libery,for instance), but I'll always appreciate my favorite little record shop, a cool hang at a club, or that time I saw a guy brazenly walking up Lafayette with his pants around his knees proclaiming "You like my ass?".

It's a wonderful and strange place. And everyone has their own version of NY. Damn, it makes me want to get the Lowdowners together to go to a Yankee game, I'm getting so misty!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

My ex is a firefighter and I was in NY for the 1 year anniversary memorial of 9-11. While there I did the tourist thing and was amazed at what a great city it really is. The street food, the sights and smells and architecture and landmarks and my favorite - Grand Central Station.

I would equate it to the place I spent a lot of my teen years (and last weekend) - San Francisco. Only flatter of course.

Yep, pretty nice little burgh you got there fellas.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Nicklab:

... or that time I saw a guy brazenly walking up Lafayette with his pants around his knees proclaiming "You like my ass?".

(insert wise ass comment)

Was that how you met Sweet Willie?? :D:D:D

...sorry, it was just there...you can't leave stuff like that hangin'

...you know I got nuthin but luve S dub :thu:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Originally posted by jeremy c:

We had 'em all first.

Competitive, Jeremy? ;)

Thanks for the list. Billy Martin? As in Yankees' manager Billy Martin? I had no idea!

Peace.

--SW

ah ok. you got me thinking about medeski, martin and wood's drummer there for a sec. NON musician!?! but it's okay now, move along...

Originally posted by ArwinH:

Originally posted by Nicklab:

... or that time I saw a guy brazenly walking up Lafayette with his pants around his knees proclaiming "You like my ass?".

(insert wise ass comment)

Was that how you met Sweet Willie?? :D:D:D

...sorry, it was just there...you can't leave stuff like that hangin'

...you know I got nuthin but luve S dub :thu:

If I hadn't seen that with my drummer, nobody would believe that story. It was HI-larious!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

There are some weird people out there that's for sure.

I remember the first time I visited sant barbara, I think I was about 7 yrs old. I'm at a park with my family and there comes a guy rollerblading down the street in a tshirt and sunglasses.....and with the expection of the rollerblades, ONLY a tshirt and sunglasses.

Needles to say it took me about 10 years to visit santa barbara again :)

Just got back to England yesterday from a weeks holiday in New York.

Got to agree - great place!

Was a total tourist but was made to feel welcome at just about everywhere.

Only regret was not going to a gig or two, but we did catch a solo tenor sax guy in Central Park (very cool!) and two drummers in a subway station - one with a drum kit and the other with plastic buckets! They were pretty funky.

We will be back I'm sure.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason to love NYC.

I'm planning to be there 3/16-17. If my Thursday night plans work out, I'll see an 8pm Carnegie Hall concert featuring Toots Thielemans w/Herbie Hancock, Ivan Lins, Joe Lovano, Oscar Castro-Neves, Eliane Elias, and Paquito D'Rivera (Al Jarreau might show). Immediately after that concert, I'll shoot down to the Blue Note and catch the late set from Roy Hargrove's quintet w/guest Slide Hampton.

I love NY.

Archived