Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steinberger-type double-ball strings?

Gruuve

So, I'm finally directing some attention back toward finishing the Hohner Jack V headless bass that I started surgery on probably a year ago. :freak: It's headless and has the Steinberger licensed bridge, so it uses the double-ball end type of strings. I'm not sure what the existing strings were, but they were taper-wound and actually kinda flabby tension-wise. Since they are taper-wound, I'm thinking perhaps they are Ken Smith strings?

I'm looking on JustStrings.com at what they have available in double-ball 5-string sets. Looks like these are the sets that would fit:

- GHS Electric Bass Multi-String Stainless Steel Roundwound 5 String, .040 - .126, Light Steinberger, 5L-DBB

- Ken Smith Electric Bass Double Ball Stainless Round Wound 5 String, .040 - .125, AA-DB-RWL-5 (these are taper-wound)

- Ken Smith Electric Bass Double Ball Stainless Round Wound 5 String, .044 - .125, AA-DB-RWM-5 (taper-wound also I believe)

- La Bella Electric Bass Double Ball Stainless Steel 5 String Low B, .045 - .128, Steinberger, S300

- La Bella Electric Bass Double Ball Nickel 5 String Low B, .045 - .128, Steinberger, S300-N

- RotoSound Swing Bass 5 String Roundwound Long Scale Double Ball End, .045 - .130, RDB665LD

I've actually tried cross-referencing this with the BassPlayer Mag's string review from Dec04, but not much luck there (I was hoping to find similar strings in normal type that match up). Based on what I did find there, I'd expect the RotoSound's to be a little shy on bottom, so I'm ruling them out. I'm not that thrilled with the original taper-wounds that were on this bass (I'm assuming the taper-winding although it improves sustain also leads to less string tension), so I'm thinking I'll rule out the Ken Smith strings as well.

That essentially leaves the GHS's and La Bella's. I used to use GHS boomers on my first bass...can't say that I liked them that much, but at this point I really don't know if that was more the bass or the strings.

So, I'm leaning toward these:

- La Bella Electric Bass Double Ball Stainless Steel 5 String Low B, .045 - .128, Steinberger, S300

These are a fairly heavy guage, so they ought to have reasonable tension. (I'd like tension similar or just a little less than the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's on my MM SR5). These appear to be pretty much the same guages as the Slinky's, but from a different mfg. So, I don't expect them to sound the same, but I would expect the tension to be somewhat similar.

Anyway, this bass has a really nice passive tone with lots of lower-mid content. (I don't know how it's going to sound in active mode yet with the stock onboard preamp replaced with an EMG-BQS, but hopefully I'll see soon.) I'd like to keep that vintagey lower-mid content in passive mode. That plus a little more tension than the strings that were on there and I think I'll be pretty happy with the result.

Anyway, given what I've said, if anyone has any opinions on the La Bella's for this application, please shout! Just trying to guage if I'm on the right track, especially since those La Bella strings are pretty expensive.

Thanks,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't tried all the sets you've listed, I've only tried:

- MusicYo cheapies

- Ken Smith

- Rotosound

and primarily on 4-strings (I have tried the Rotos and MusicYos on 5-strings and have 5-string sets to go BEAD on my 4 when I feel like it).

Out of those I liked the Rotosound's best - deeper, richer sound and fuller top end. But I haven't tried the LaBella's. Another string source for you to consider is:

http://www.status-graphite.com

You can get roundwounds, groundwounds, flatwounds and tapewounds from them. I've seen folks recommend the groundwounds (half-rounds) and would like to try them someday.

craigb @ TB, G&LDP, the Dudepit (boek @ Dudepit 1)

Originally posted by Craig Boeker:

I haven't tried all the sets you've listed, I've only tried:

- MusicYo cheapies

- Ken Smith

- Rotosound

and primarily on 4-strings (I have tried the Rotos and MusicYos on 5-strings and have 5-string sets to go BEAD on my 4 when I feel like it).

Out of those I liked the Rotosound's best - deeper, richer sound and fuller top end. But I haven't tried the LaBella's. Another string source for you to consider is:

http://www.status-graphite.com

You can get roundwounds, groundwounds, flatwounds and tapewounds from them. I've seen folks recommend the groundwounds (half-rounds) and would like to try them someday.

I've only used the musicyo's and thought they were reasonably good strings - no complaints.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

- La Bella Electric Bass Double Ball Nickel 5 String Low B, .045 - .128, Steinberger, S300-N

I bought a 4-string set of these in this gague (045-.105 IIRC) for my buddy's Steinberger-copy (can't recall the model at the moment) and both of us were happy with it (I did the string change and intonation for him). The gauge is easy to get used to and provides the best balance of intonation vs. thickness that I know of. (getting intonation on a .128 is a little bit of a bother, but not as difficult as with a .125 or .120) That and we just prefer nickel to steel for that low-end growl we both love.

Only issue I ran into is how to move those doggone bridge pieces into position. Loosen the set screw and you have to shove it into the right position and then tighten it down. Unless they've improved that on your model and the copy I worked on was a bad copy of that bridge.

Big surprise to me after all these years is that I'm back to buying LaBellas again (my first bass had them). The last two sets I bought were their black nylon tapewound set (Rob Allen uses those on some of his VERY-fine AEBs) and a nylon-steel set for URB made by E&O Mari, which (if you haven't noticed) is the maker of your LaBella sets. So I have new-found respect for these old stringmakers.

:thu:

If it was a Steinberger copy, then best guess would be a Hohner!

Fred...you are indeed correct, that bridge is a real PITA to set intonation on. Steinberger made a 4-string tuning bridge with set screws for the saddles, but they never made a 5-string bridge with set screws. It's a very hair-pulling experience to get the intonation set right...get one saddle right, then move the one beside it, and you indavertently mess up the one you just got right...very frustrating to deal with. Next time I do it, I'll try loosening the string I'm adjusting but over-tightening the others a little, or I might try somehow blocking the saddles I've set. That's why I want to pick the right set of strings and essentially NEVER change them again! LOL.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived