Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

direct in?

Connally

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getz, it sounds like Connally's tracking on a Korg stand-alone digital recorder. I think the complaint is that the bass signal "does not sound good at all" through the built-in pre, and that the Korg doesn't have the ability to make it sound any better ITB. He/she is already comfortable using a Pod to dial in the guitar sound up front :eek: , so I imagine he/she would be happy with a bass Pod.

I agree, with better recording gear -- or at least the ability to re-amp -- he/she would be just fine with the Countryman.

Connally is still stuck with whatever ADCs are in the Korg box, but he/she can still play with putting things in the signal chain between the bass and the box.

Is the bass active or passive?

An Avalon (or similar) would be nice, but I don't know if that qualifies as "simple".

I think he meant that the preamp on the digital recorcder isn't suited for bass.

The Countryman DI, a Sansamp, or some other DI box may indeed be what you need if you are just looking for a warmer and more present sound (whatever that means). Are you trying to bypass the Korg pre entirely? Are you trying to do in digitally?

What's your price range? The more specific you are about that, the moretargeted the answer will be.

"For instance" is not proof.

the bass is passive. and yes im using a d1600 korg digi-studio.

Price range is about $150-300. The 16 track has nothing wrong with it. check out the link at the bottom of my signature. you can hear that everything is nice and clear but the bass is not, it sounds rather muddy. I have my Sweetwater pro-gear directory in front of me, but I do not understand how/ why this little box is going to work for me if it had no eq. I'm asking because i do not know, so any positive advice or tips would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Dallas

If your looking to shape the tone on the way in, than you want a pre amp that has a DI. Boxes like the Sans Amp Bass Driver, as well as it's MXR counterpart are good. Of course the bass Pod has plenty of options to it. The RBI by Tech 21 is good, about $100 more than the Sans Amp Bass Driver by the same people. On the other hand, if the Korg has some built in pre-sets and you wanna keep it simple. Put some fresh strings on, record and play around with what it has to offer. Best of luck.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Listened to the tracks. Cool stuff, do try boosing around 400hz on your eq if you are looking for more bite. 800 may make it more low mid punchy, thoughit sounds like it may have enough low for what you band sound is. I'll probably get killed on this. But Mike Dirnt from Green Day swears by 3k. For right tone pick sounding attack.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Best not to confuse issues with terms like "bite" at the same time connecting it with 400 Hz, which when boosted sounds not much like any kind of a bite except a mouthfull of peanut butter. Similarly, one could say 800 Hz is more like mid-mids - low mids are actually in the territory of maybe 250 to 500 Hz for bass. I realize it's all rather subjective, which is why such terms aren't as useful as just describing frequencies and width of the cut or boost.

Nothing like playing a track while sweeping with a [semi]parametric with at least one band, and varying the depth/strength of boost and/or cut 'til one finds a couple tone treatments that really sit right with the rest of the mix while accentuating that particular part. If adjustable Q (width of band for the cut or boost) is also available you can really get some nice ways to stand out without burying other parts.

Archived