Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Passports

LLroomtempJ

Hey guys!

I graduated this semester( :D ) and i'm looking forward to doing some traveling next semester.

I don't know where to just yet.

I was talking with a friend last night and it sounds like there is more than one way to get a passport and there is a wide range that you can pay when it actually comes to price.

help!!

jason

ps- I planning on spending next semester in Boston and doing some bass playing and enjoying my last bit of free time. I'm also considering accepting a job offer in VA to try to get my foot into the consulting door.

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My girlfriend recently got hers. She went to the post office. It cost about $90 and she had to wait 6 weeks. She could have got it in two weeks for an additional $30.

Try here:

http://www.usps.com/passport/

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

Mine didn't quite take 3 months. But be prepared to bring (and give up) your birth certificate or other proof of citizenship (naturalization certificate, etc). They mail it back to you, but that made me a little nervous.

Same here. The key thing is to plan early and check all the ID requirements and bring more than the minimum items. I'm glad I got mine in 1999.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I think most of the info you need for a passport has been covered, so Ill suggest some place to go. Try Germany, I lived there for ten years, and I love it over there. The people are nice, the musicians that I met there were really cool, and best of all they have the best beer in the world. If you want someplace else to go Trinidad is it, go around Feb, March time, you wont want to come home.

:wave:

If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Cheapest way is the Post Office route, but make sure you leave yourself some time -- it can take six weeks or more to get it processed.

There are quicky services that can do it faster -- just check the yellow pages -- but you're gonna pay.

Also, depending on where you go, a passport may not be enough. You may also need to get a visa from the consultate of the country you'll be visiting. This can also cost money (+/-$100) and also can take time. Again, the quicky services can help, but you'll pay.

The visas have different expiration dates. I have one for Brazil that's good for five years from first visit. I have one for Chile that's good for the life of the passport.

Countries that don't require a visa may still require you to pay a fee to either enter or exit the country -- again could be +/-$100. Check before you go.

Oh yeah, and you'll have to renew your U.S. passport every 10 years.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I got mine at the County Clerk's office. I was in a rush and I was able to get it in about 2 weeks because I told them it was for a business trip. They actually rushed it through and I got it in time. I think it cost about $60, but my memory about such things from 9 years ago is kind of sketchy.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Nicklab:

I got mine at the County Clerk's office. I was in a rush and I was able to get it in about 2 weeks because I told them it was for a business trip. They actually rushed it through and I got it in time. I think it cost about $60, but my memory about such things from 9 years ago is kind of sketchy.

Mine was exactly the same as Nick's. I went to the County Clerk's office with my completed form and birth certificate, and said that I was going out of the country within the next 2 months. I had my passport about 2 weeks later.

Looking at my checkbook register (I knew there was a reason for these things) I see that I wrote 2 checks. 1 for $55 for the passport application itself, and 1 for $30 to the County Clerk for processing.

Enjoy your travel! Everyone should get their passport just in case.

Originally posted by EZ:

I think most of the info you need for a passport has been covered, so Ill suggest some place to go. Try Germany, I lived there for ten years, and I love it over there. The people are nice, the musicians that I met there were really cool, and best of all they have the best beer in the world. If you want someplace else to go Trinidad is it, go around Feb, March time, you wont want to come home.

:wave:

Sorry, you're wrong about that. Best beer in the world is in Belgium. Not far away when you're in Germany. And no additional paperwork to get in.

For reference, I've just renewed my passport. It takes two weeks over here, and that's standard.

I wanted it sent to a temporary address, so I included the request & my phone number inside.

The (very nice) lady dealing with it phoned me to ask if I wanted my middle name in it like the last passport, as I had forgotten to fill it in.

Now, that's service.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived