Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a few questions...

floridagizzi

Im brand new to this forum (kinda). Ive been reading and watching for a while now, though i try to keep to the shadows. anyways, to the questions.

1.Anyone play the variax 700? and if so, what are your thoughts? I have a limited budget and the idea intrigues me a bit, though I havent played one yet..

2.Has anyone strung their 4 string BEAD? I own a jazz and was wondering how this would work out.

Following these forums I really appreciate the honesty of the people on here, and I know I can count on you guys with this as well. Im tired of reading variax reviews that sound like they were written by Line 6 people trying to sell their stuff. Thank you for your time.

floridagizzi

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. I would re-consider doing that, if you were debating. Some necks, especially lower-end model basses, aren't made for that kind of tension. It's a different tension that EADG. Might cause severe damage to the neck. If anything (and I know this doesn't help), ADGC would be a better situation

Originally posted by LstPrpht4Lfe:

2. I would re-consider doing that, if you were debating. Some necks, especially lower-end model basses, aren't made for that kind of tension. It's a different tension that EADG. Might cause severe damage to the neck. If anything (and I know this doesn't help), ADGC would be a better situation

By my understanding, the tension actually isn't any different on the lower strings, thus the tension between BEAD and EADG is pretty simular. That is the reason that the strings have different guages, so that you have even tension, and thus even tone across the strings.

There may be some difference in tension, but nothing that a truss rod tweak wouldn't fix right up. I belive there are a few known bassists out there who have used that tuning. Tim Commerfield from RATM comes to mind.

Originally posted by LstPrpht4Lfe:

It amazes me that so many people get this the wrong way round. I mean, pull on your strings - which feel tighter?

Total tension of: ADGC > EADG > BEAD

I don't understand why so many bassists make a song and dance about 5-strings, when they never venture up to the last few frets of their 4-string. BEAD tuned 4-strings therefore make a lot of sense.

Alex

2) BEAD

Had a bass tuned this way. It worked fabulously and I plan on doing it again one of these days. Just set it up this way and go for it.

Some 4 string bridges won't accomodate the heavier B-string so you'll either have to find a taperwound B string or make the hole a little bigger.

Originally posted by floridagizzi:

1.Anyone play the variax 700? and if so, what are your thoughts? I have a limited budget and the idea intrigues me a bit, though I havent played one yet..

There's a pretty good thread on the Variax 700 and some points about the Variax 705. Check that out HERE .

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

1. I've played the Variax in a local GC. I liked the way it played and sounded, and I think that it could come in handy for someone else. If I had one, I would have it modeling a Fender Jazz or a Stingray most of the time. Since I already have a Jazz and a Stingray, it seems like something that I probably don't really need.

2. I have a fretless Epi T-Bird tuned to BEAD. Sounds great and no neck problems. :thu:

Push the button Frank.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

If I had one, I would have it modeling a Fender Jazz or a Stingray most of the time. Since I already have a Jazz and a Stingray, it seems like something that I probably don't really need.

Yeah I just played a MM sterling today at a GC and I was floored by it. The tone of the instrument and the options with the pickup selector....wow....the thing felt amazing. As I said I already have a jazz (though unfortunately it's a squier (meh). Sounds alright, not sure if a true fender is anything more than a name. Twas thinking of replacing the pickups on it.... but I digress.

SO if I have the jazz, should I just spring for the Sterling?

I guess the only problem is I can't hardly anticipate creativity with all the models on the variax (meh again). It seems I have a dilemma.

Squiers use agathis for the bodies as opposed to alder or ash in Fender branded instruments. I don't know how that would affect sound. I believe the electronics are cheaper in Squiers as well. I've also heard horror stories about the necks on Squiers. It would not be a bad idea to get a nicer J bass at some point, if you feel the urge.

But get the Sterling first, 'cuz MM basses are hot. You've already got a "good enough" Jazz bass.

Archived