Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ya wanna see a B string?

knuckle_head

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys realize that knuckle_head is the guy behind (or in some way related to) knuckle basses , yes? if you haven't heard of them, check them out.

essentially, they make basses that are tuned an octave below standard basses. i'm assuming part of the purpose in that (and in having a 15. Hz fundamental) is that a stringed instrument like this generates mostly second harmonic (double the frequency of the fundamental). so that 15. Hz B will produce a lot of energy around 31Hz. which is "audible".

i've heard some sound clips through decent headphones and it sounds pretty cool. nice and growly. check them out.

robb.

Somewhere there is a suspension bridge missing a cable . . .

I love the idea though - a double dose at 31hz? YEAH BABY!!! Can you say laxative?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Wonder what the chances of getting a sample of how that sounds are????

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by mattulator:

Somewhere there is a suspension bridge missing a cable . . .

That thought crossed my mind too. And he's in Seattle. Anyone remember the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?

Tone and frequency are one thing - response is another. A string that large may have killer tone, but what's to be expected for attack?

- Matt W.

Methinks some people could really stand to suss out the Ralph Novak/Bill Bartolini research on scale length and tone - which does by the way include attack as well as decay. It's not a static entity.

The biggest thing Skip is up against (besides manufacturing difficulty and R&D) is FLEXIBILITY. As the string becomes more rigid, it departs further from the ideal string model. That has a lot of effect on increasing out-of-tune "bent" overtones, especially as one goes up the neck.

But on that Knuckle scale it may be realistic, especially if the core wire isn't too thick and the windings are tensioned just so.

• 2 weeks later...

The next round is in process - the original .275 was built around a .038, very inflexible core. It made for an amazingly strong fundamental and almost no overtones. The next (and likely last) version will be made with a core that is no more than a .025 and will more closely resemble the .200 E string that sits above it.

The E string is quite toneful - useable in every respect in my opinion. I hope for the same out of the B, but the crux of my experiment (beyond actually making it work) was to do it in keeping with more correct physics, i.e. proper gauge to tension based on my platform as opposed to taking a relatively articulate string and slackening it up.

The strings are being built by La Bella and they are being tremendously accomodating. The sets they have made me for traditional tuning are astounding.

I hope by NAMM to have a 4 string built on my 5 string platform (I need the extra nut space to accommodate the gauges) tuned B E A D - best laid plans, and I am already behind.

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

Hey buddy, big job, innit? Yeah, getting that core/wrap ratio correct so tensions can be right, tones to match better, and all the strings acting the same to varying attacks has got to be tough, since it really hasn't been done yet. New ground.

You know I really didn't think much of the SIT 165 for this reason, exacerbated by the fact that they used an exposed core in attempt to compensate. You really had to EQ to this special case to get it to work musically, and then the others got messed with as a side effect.

I'll try to give you a call next week so we can yap about... s t u f f ; }

ugh.....so low....so powerful.

i wonder if it would tear a hole in the fabric of time if he breaks it?

good luck!

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

knuckle_head, I have a marketing idea for you.

When you display this bass at the NAMM show, see if you can hire Gheorghe Muresan to model it for you.

http://www.scholarshipamerica.org/home/img/newsgfx/cs4ne137.jpg

He should be comfortable wearing the bass but he might need a few lessons... but I'm sure he'll make an impression at the show. And he does have an agent.

:D

Archived