Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How can I get that "Smooth Jazz" "XM 71" type sound?

SteveC

I often think of the bass on the "Breakfast in America" album as an early-ish version of this kind of tone. I read that it was achieved with lots of compression, & flat EQ except for huge bumps at 100 & 200 Hz. I tried it (with a BP8), & a plain old Jazz through a 12" combo pretty much nailed it. (Plus technique.)

Pretty much what Jeremy & greenboy recommended here. I'd start with the signal (& hands) before messing with the gear.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by greenboy:

Compression/limiting will easily give you 3 dB more in average levels with your cab without sounding in the least bit squashed...this is often the hidden secret of bass combo circuitry to make smaller, less powerful combinations seem more capable.

And when it comes to mixes - recorded stuff - actually a lot of sonic styles use considerably more than THAT. If you want to sound more like that nothing else will do - no amount of hand technique will reshape the dynamic range and frequency distribution of a single instrument thusly. This is when compression is used as an effect, as PART of the sound, and not just a way to control either dynamic range or uneven technique.

In your case, if you really want that sound, it'll also have the added benefit of making your rig sound a bit bigger than it is. And ironically, you bought one of the better compressors for this type of use some time ago.

Would that be the Rane DC24 or the PreSonus Blue Max? I don't use a rack any more, so I hope that something other than a rack mount Rane could do the trick.

Originally posted by dcr:

I often think of the bass on the "Breakfast in America" album as an early-ish version of this kind of tone. I read that it was achieved with lots of compression, & flat EQ except for huge bumps at 100 & 200 Hz. I tried it (with a BP8), & a plain old Jazz through a 12" combo pretty much nailed it. (Plus technique.)

Pretty much what Jeremy & greenboy recommended here. I'd start with the signal (& hands) before messing with the gear.

As soon as I get some free time, I plan to do just that.

Would that be the Rane DC24 or the PreSonus Blue Max?
The Rane, if used correctly - and that comes closer to the type of compression employed/used/misused for broadcast.

I don't use a rack any more, so I hope that something other than a rack mount Rane could do the trick.
So don't put it in a rack ; }

...One good trick for getting that smoov compressed sound only when you want it is to set the threshold pretty high and the ratio pretty darn high, and then use your volume knob. When the volume is partly down (or you use some active tone cuts) if you have the compressor threshold set right, you'll mainly be playing your standard dynamic range. When you dime the bass's volume you'll be pushing the circuit past threshold and that high ratio will mash it. Voila!

dcr: I often think of the bass on the "Breakfast in America" album as an early-ish version of this kind of tone.
Yep, probably so. The main thing that's changed for some is that there's a low B string, and some are using band centers or shelves around 1/2 an octave lower than the ones described below...

I read that it was achieved with lots of compression, & flat EQ except for huge bumps at 100 & 200 Hz.
What this does in effect is sends more of those rich freq's full of energy into the compressor, certain to reach threshold a lot more often even if it's set moderately. Then, its as if the compressor is is making LESS of all other frequencies and putting out a lot of mid-bass and lower midrange. Or in the case of some mixes today, a lot more low-bass and mid-bass, and less of above, with maybe some post-compressor EQ to brighten the upper mids or treble - instant sparkle and definition on an essentially deep, rich tone.

Well, I borrowed a friends Aphex Exciter pedal. I A/B'ed it against a bump at the 100 Hz and the Enhance knob (mid cut really) at about 1 o'clock on my EQ. Wanna guess which one sounded better?

The EQ wins hands down at home. I have a gig Wednesday so I can try it live then.

Thanks again for the help. No need to buy anything - for now. I still think some more good compression would be helpful. I forget how powerful a tool EQ can be, and how good the EQ is on my Eden 550 head.

Archived