Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello!

Stuart Clayton

Hi everyone!

My name is Stuart Clayton, I am a UK bass player, and writer of several published tuition books, as well as being a writer for the UK's Bass Guitar Magazine. I have decided to try an establish more of an online presence... I do have a new book to plug after all! ;-)

I have just finished writing 'Ultimate Slap Bass', a complete Beginner to Advanced tutorial method book. The book contains over 200 exercises, covering topics such as basic slap techniques, hammer-ons and pull-offs, strumming, double popping, double thumbing, and combining techniques. The book will come with two audio CD's. There are also biographies and discographies for the most influential slap bassists, and interviews with Marcus Miller, Stuart Hamm, Mark King, Vail Johnson, and Ray Riendeau. You can check out the book and many of the others I have written on my website www.stuartclayton.com. I'd be very interested to here what you all think...

Feel free to drop me a line and say hi either on this forum or via email - stuartclayton@hotmail.com.

Cheers

Stuart Clayton

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound sincere, so I hope you stick around for more reasons than just to promote your book. There are a lot of people on this forum who would jump to buy a book or CD that forum regular puts out to "help him/her out," but there are even more people who look with a skeptical eye on first posts plugging merchandise.

Stick around and make friends, Stuart. We can always use another pro in the forum. Best luck on moving your book, too.

Hey Stuart - I thought I recognised your name! Does that make you a celebrity? ;)

One question regarding your new book - how have you covered the application of all those pyrotechnic techniques to really laying down a groove? The perennial problem for too many (wannabe) slap bassists...

Alex

Hi Stuart, I hope you do stick around.

Well, and tactfully put, ClarkW.

Stuart, bass guitar magazine seems to be 'angled' more for beginners. (I exaggerate, I know and I have enjoyed many of the interviews/articles over the years). Is this percieved (sp?) focus due to marketing factors?

All the best,

Phil

Yeah, if the sole purpose of an online presence is to flog your stuff I think your own website, or paid advertising on others', is more appropriate than using forums. As it is there seem to be enough guys who never post anything but [thinly disguised] self-promotions.

So, hey, share some insights, stories, etc from time to time and the career enhancement stuff will go down a lot easier ; }

Welcome! : }

hello stu, i have read a few of your articles in bgm,just to add what others have,put the kettle on have a brew,and hang around also chime in whenever you can, its nice here, plus you may want to have a nose around the search feature,

in the past some interesting subjects have been discussed

cheers,

craig. :thu:

Welcome Stuart, good to have you at the forum. This is a great place to learn more about bass, but you definitly seem to know a lot about bass already, there is always more to learn(of course). I can't wait to gain some extra knowledge from your posts.

P.S. The bass players here are real nice so you won't have any trouble making new friends.

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

Wow, what a welcoming forum! Thanks guys, I feel at home already! In response to some of the replies in this thread, I will certainly be sticking around and getting to know you guys on here - if there is anything you want to know about me and what I do, please feel free to ask, and I'll help out all I can. I certainly don't wanna be one of those guys that only uses forums for their own gain, so anything I can do...

Glad to hear some of you enjoy Bass Guitar Magazine! It's great to finally have a decent bass mag in the UK again - you guys (assuming a lot of people from the US on here) are very lucky to have had a quality mag for so long!

Now I must get that kettle on...

Cheers!

Stu

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

Hey Stuart - I thought I recognised your name! Does that make you a celebrity? ;)

One question regarding your new book - how have you covered the application of all those pyrotechnic techniques to really laying down a groove? The perennial problem for too many (wannabe) slap bassists...

Alex

Hi Alex,

The book is certainly not all about pyrotechnics, and I have put a lot of effort into making each exercise groove hard. There's plenty of emphasis on playing with maturity, using space, and of course playing in keys other than E! I use a variety of keys throughout the book, hopefully this will encourage people to slap in a more musical way.

I will be posting some example lines and MP3's on my site soon - i'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Stu

Archived